Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Breiflabb technique

Has anyone caught one of these monsters and how? As I understand they are ambush predators... so You would have to drop a lure right on top of them? or do they follow scent streams from baits? Anyone got any tips?

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A couple of years ago, I caught a baitfish (breiflabb) in Saltstraumen, nearby Bodø. I was fishing from the shore, and I jused a pirk, with some parts of coalfish hanging from the hooks. After that I have never caught baitfish, but from time to time the baitfish (and halibuts, by the way) can be seen when it is swimming underneath the the surface.

Good luck.

Endret av LasseB
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A couple of years ago, I caught a baitfish (breiflabb) in Saltstraumen, nearby Bodø. I was fishing from the shore, and I jused a pirk, with some parts of coalfish hanging from the hooks. After that I have never caught baitfish, but from time to time the baitfish (and halibuts, by the way) can be seen when it is swimming underneath the the surface.

Good luck.

Saltstraumen is the place with whirlpools and fierce tides? I think I've seen some videos of there and the fishing looked excellent but a bit scary out in boats there.

It sounds like pure luck with the Breiflabb unless You catch them on a spear :-) I wish I knew a tried and tested way to catch them on a line cos they are one of My favourite fish to eat... hard to beat a whole roasted tail.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Saltstraumen is the place with whirlpools and fierce tides? I think I've seen some videos of there and the fishing looked excellent but a bit scary out in boats there.

It sounds like pure luck with the Breiflabb unless You catch them on a spear :-) I wish I knew a tried and tested way to catch them on a line cos they are one of My favourite fish to eat... hard to beat a whole roasted tail.

Davie

That's right, Davie. Saltstraumen is the heaviest malestrom in the world, so safety and respect are two good countersigns to follow. A larger boat has no problems in Saltstraumen, but smaller boats could get problems.

Baitfish is a wonderful fish to eat. :D

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Baitfish, Lasse?

Angler/Monkfish. :D

The British argue about the name of this fish more than anyone.

'Monkfish' is actually a shark, sometimes called the Angel shark which looks similar to the AnglerFish, hence the confusion.

This has been happening for so long now that Fishmongers have been selling the Anglerfish tails as 'Monkfish tails' and now most British people call them Monkfish.

best just call them Breiflabb and avoid confusion :D

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Good luck.

I caught one with the exact same bait, a pirk wih a piece of coalfish. That was just a small one, maybe 2 kgs and I caught it from boat.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider