Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Norwegian bleeding methods

I watched a Young Norwegian lad bleed His cod a few weeks back and He practically had all its guts out. it seemed a bit unnecessary as You might as well just gut it at this stage.

My Girlfriends Father mentioned this before and it got Me thinking.

I Normally just snip the gill rakers on fish like cod and haddock and tail off My flatties... then a lot of the time I don't bother cos I'll take them home a short while later and prepare them.

Some charter boat skippers in the UK will cut the rakers then feed rope through the mouth and out the gills and throw the fish back in the water for 5 minutes.

What are the usual methods of bleeding a fish in Norway?

Not a very sporting question... but I mostly fish for food :)

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Seems to me that most people unhock the fish and throw it in a box to die...

Tough, i think most users in this forum uses much more human methods than the charterboat-skippers :)

there are many humane ways to kill a fish but the point of bleeding is to make them taste better by preventing blood clotting on the flesh and leaving a strong taste.

The charterboat skippers method is meant to prevent bruising on the fish as it struggles inside the boat... as having their gills cut kinda annoys them.

I'm sure commercial trawlermen have far more inhumane ways to deal with fish.

Davie

Cut the throat and bend back the head.

That cuts the same artery that feeds the gill rakers... only trouble is the guts will fall out and a neck fracture on the spine can make it bleed over the thickest part of the fillet.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What are the "the gill rakers"?

I always give it a good wack over the head first to kill it. Then it moves less when cutting the throat.

I normally just cut the throat but if I'm not rushing things I gut it right away, and rinse it more thoroughly when at home or finished fishing for the day.

In hot weather I gut the fish more or less instantly, and salt it right away if I'm planning to continue fishing for a few hours.

EDIT:

There is also the case of worm problems in some parts of norway. The guts are full of worms, and they may spread to the meat if not removed instanstly.

Endret av Bunker
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The most common method is a priest for the kill, or a stone or a lump object that you can whack the fish with. Bleeding methods are commonly used on salmon. The fish is tied up by its tail and the gills are ripped out. Bleeding cod etc is not common, however people do it most out of personal reasons I assume.

As mentioned from Bunker, a worm is a common problem, very often found in trout. If worms are discovered it is crucial to gut the fish as soon as possible to stop the worms from penetrating the meat of the fish. When the host dies these worms leave the intestines and move to eat the meat. Kind of awkward

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What are the "the gill rakers"?

The gill rakers are the boney part of the gill with feathery bits... basically the whole 'breathing part' of the gills.

sometimes the bottom part where it attaches to the throat is cut on both gills or the whole gill removed with two cuts on each gill.

I used the term 'rakers' as some people only slash the gill covers..

Its a good cut to make if You like to get Your gear back in the water quick and don't want to gut immediately. It helps to put the fish in water too... or so I am told but its not always practical.

I've encountered the 2 usual worms in Norway... We call the small ones 'Herring worms' and the larger ones 'cod worms'. I've never seen one penetrate the gut cavity yet... don't think I could eat the fish if I had.

Davie

The most common method is a priest for the kill, or a stone or a lump object that you can whack the fish with. Bleeding methods are commonly used on salmon. The fish is tied up by its tail and the gills are ripped out. Bleeding cod etc is not common, however people do it most out of personal reasons I assume.

As mentioned from Bunker, a worm is a common problem, very often found in trout. If worms are discovered it is crucial to gut the fish as soon as possible to stop the worms from penetrating the meat of the fish. When the host dies these worms leave the intestines and move to eat the meat. Kind of awkward

I always use My priest to give the fish their last rights first... tho some fish won't take a good killing! like eels and garfish.

I've not encountered worms on trout yet. I'm not worried about the herring and cod worms as they are easilly killed but I sure don't like the look of sea lice!!! what do You do if Your trout is covered in those?

Davie

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The gill rakers are the boney part of the gill with feathery bits... basically the whole 'breathing part' of the gills.

sometimes the bottom part where it attaches to the throat is cut on both gills or the whole gill removed with two cuts on each gill.

I used the term 'rakers' as some people only slash the gill covers..

Its a good cut to make if You like to get Your gear back in the water quick and don't want to gut immediately. It helps to put the fish in water too... or so I am told but its not always practical.

I've encountered the 2 usual worms in Norway... We call the small ones 'Herring worms' and the larger ones 'cod worms'. I've never seen one penetrate the gut cavity yet... don't think I could eat the fish if I had.

Davie

I always use My priest to give the fish their last rights first... tho some fish won't take a good killing! like eels and garfish.

I've not encountered worms on trout yet. I'm not worried about the herring and cod worms as they are easilly killed but I sure don't like the look of sea lice!!! what do You do if Your trout is covered in those?

Davie

Well, thats another story. They die when the host die, they also die in freshwater. The worms in trout are most common in the freshwater trout.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I allways try to bleed all fish I intend to eat as soon as possible.

I know some who just cut the tail of coarse/big Pollock, and find this method the most efficient in order to get it empty fast.

This is done by some proffessionals if they intend to keep the fish for themselves, as it is supposed to give better meat.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I allways try to bleed all fish I intend to eat as soon as possible.

I know some who just cut the tail of coarse/big Pollock, and find this method the most efficient in order to get it empty fast.

This is done by some proffessionals if they intend to keep the fish for themselves, as it is supposed to give better meat.

A tail cut is supposed to help a gill cut fish empty better but I'm not entirely sure if thats true. I use tail cuts on flatties tho along with a gill cut and still have to flex them a bit to encourage bleeding.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've never seen one penetrate the gut cavity yet... don't think I could eat the fish if I had.

I suppose if you see that once or twice, you'll start finding time to gut fish sonner rather than later. :rolleyes:

But it can take some time before it happens, if ever. I should say that I myself have never encountered these worms, but I offered it as an explanation on why someone might more or less fully gut the fish when bleeding it.

If I gut the fish when bleeding it, it's mostly because gutting a cod takes about 30 seconds if you already have picked up the knife to bleed it, and my hands may already be soked i codcrap, so I might aswell finish the dirty business.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I suppose if you see that once or twice, you'll start finding time to gut fish sonner rather than later. :)

But it can take some time before it happens, if ever. I should say that I myself have never encountered these worms, but I offered it as an explanation on why someone might more or less fully gut the fish when bleeding it.

If I gut the fish when bleeding it, it's mostly because gutting a cod takes about 30 seconds if you already have picked up the knife to bleed it, and my hands may already be soked i codcrap, so I might aswell finish the dirty business.

Never seen these worms on a fish there? In summer maybe a quarter of the makrell seems to have Herring worm as does a lot of whiting. in the winter hardly any fish seem to have the herring worm not even the makrell... infact only 1 Knurr (big tub gurnard) had them and a few cod had the bigger cod worms so far this winter, tho that may yet change if other fish feed more on herring.

Luckilly both these worms are killed when cooked or frozen... not so lucky for the japanese who don't always cook their fish. The herring worms are a major source of illness there :puke:

It has also become a problem in spain and southern france because they don't always gut their fish before eating... sick puppies!

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 weeks later...

I just slash the gills and the throat until the blood is pounding. Just be aware that deep water fish like ling, redfish and tusk doesent contain as much blood as species that lurk closer to the surface. If you decide to keep cartilage fish like shark and rays, they must be bled at once, otherwice they will taste like pee, but normally we release them back alive, as they grow slow and breed in smaller numbers! Apart from that; enjoy your fishing here in Norway, but keep only what you can eat, and release the rest of your catch safely to the water where they belong. That kind of attitude is what we seek in our foreign angeling brothers and sisters. Fishing is about fun, not about kilos and money, ok?

Endret av cb
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I just slash the gills and the throat until the blood is pounding. Just be aware that deep water fish like ling, redfish and tusk doesent contain as much blood as species that lurk closer to the surface. If you decide to keep cartilage fish like shark and rays, they must be bled at once, otherwice they will taste like pee, but normally we release them back alive, as they grow slow and breed in smaller numbers! Apart from that; enjoy your fishing here in Norway, but keep only what you can eat, and release the rest of your catch safely to the water where they belong. That kind of attitude is what we seek in our foreign angeling brothers and sisters. Fishing is about fun, not about kilos and money, ok?

I done a comparison between the haddock i caught 2 days ago and the one i caught yesterday... gill cut fish had much lighter meat and the unbled one had darker meat with occasional spotting.

I don't do much deepwater fishing but thats a useful tip about the ling.

I heard The problem with sharks and rays is ammonia in the skin... doesn't sound too appealing to me. Doggies are a nuisance fish to me but quite a lot of people in UK eat them. they are sold in chip shops as 'rock salmon' as are tope and spurdogs.

I'm no tree hugger cb... but I certainly don't shit where I eat. The lucky haddock i put back yesterday will testify to that :lol: I occasionally put back really good fish too... not for conservation, just superticious :angry:

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider