Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

saltwater fly leader

I'm having troubles with my leaders... saltwater flyfishing is new to Me and all i've discovered so far is that 6lb strain nylon just aint strong enough and most of my sea fishing lines are too thick or too much memory or a silly colour.

what is the best to use????

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Depends the view in the water... but pollack, coalfish and cod usually doesn't care much if it's 5 or 10 feet. But usually I prefer something in between

When I lived in Shetland as a kid I saw a pollack caught on bright blue nylon rope! don't think the trout or bass would go for it tho :rolleyes:

I'm definately more comfortable with a short leader as i cast with the finesse of a gorilla.

Davie

When I use heavy sinking lines the leader is about 2' long. With clear intermediate lines the leader I use is 9-15' long.

The only saltwater line I've got is a 10 weight clear intermediate shooting head... which is far more visible in the water than it is in the air. My running line on the other hand is bright orange dacron :D

compared to what I use for rainbows and brownies this set up is practically invisible.

anyways... i'm guesssing You would recommend a long leader for this?

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The only saltwater line I've got is a 10 weight clear intermediate shooting head... which is far more visible in the water than it is in the air. My running line on the other hand is bright orange dacron :)

compared to what I use for rainbows and brownies this set up is practically invisible.

anyways... i'm guesssing You would recommend a long leader for this?

Davie

The length depends on what you are fishing for and how large flies you are using.

For seatrout and bass-fishing with a large deceiver I would use a 6-9' leader with a 8-12lb tippet. For smaller flies I would use a 9-12' leader with a 6-8lb tippet.

For pollack and cod-fishing I would use a super fast sink polyleader with a 1' 20lb tippet.

When I flyfish for pollack and cod I am using a 350 grain type 6 sinking shooting head. I am not using any leader, just a 2' 20lb tippet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The length depends on what you are fishing for and how large flies you are using.

For seatrout and bass-fishing with a large deceiver I would use a 6-9' leader with a 8-12lb tippet. For smaller flies I would use a 9-12' leader with a 6-8lb tippet.

For pollack and cod-fishing I would use a super fast sink polyleader with a 1' 20lb tippet.

When I flyfish for pollack and cod I am using a 350 grain type 6 sinking shooting head. I am not using any leader, just a 2' 20lb tippet.

Thanks, That pretty much answers all my question and more :)

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider