Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Best Baits

I've been experimenting with baits the last few days and I can't see anything beating the humble horse mussel (Blåskjell).

hooks barely touch bottom before something is biting and the quality of fish seems to be better too, I took 4 haddock on it tonight and 2 hard fighters got off the hook :) (gotta love those feisty haddock) I was also taking 2 or 3 whiting and/or dabs per single bait at times.

I had some success with whiting soaked in fish sauce which contains fermented pilchard... at certain times it outfished mackarel, then again, sometimes not...either way, nowhere near as good as the mussel.

I experimented with some flour based doughs but I can't seem to get the mixes right between fish oils and flour... they are either too weak or won't last on a hook for too long.

The magical berkley powerbait trout dough that is lethal for stocked trout was also hopeless in the sea, it only took a tiny coalie and a single dab over 2 days and coalie i took home another day had a stomach full of the stuff... even then they probably just liked the colour ;)

So does anyone have a surefire wonderbait??? or know a good way to sit blåskjell on a hook???

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've been experimenting with baits the last few days and I can't see anything beating the humble horse mussel (Blåskjell).

hooks barely touch bottom before something is biting and the quality of fish seems to be better too, I took 4 haddock on it tonight and 2 hard fighters got off the hook :) (gotta love those feisty haddock) I was also taking 2 or 3 whiting and/or dabs per single bait at times.

I had some success with whiting soaked in fish sauce which contains fermented pilchard... at certain times it outfished mackarel, then again, sometimes not...either way, nowhere near as good as the mussel.

I experimented with some flour based doughs but I can't seem to get the mixes right between fish oils and flour... they are either too weak or won't last on a hook for too long.

The magical berkley powerbait trout dough that is lethal for stocked trout was also hopeless in the sea, it only took a tiny coalie and a single dab over 2 days and coalie i took home another day had a stomach full of the stuff... even then they probably just liked the colour ;)

So does anyone have a surefire wonderbait??? or know a good way to sit blåskjell on a hook???

Davie

Use the really thin rubberish bait elastic to get the blåskjell to sit. (buy it at Baardsen, Haugesund) Or you can steal a pair of the missus stockings (but be sure to tell her what you intend to use it for, so she dont think you're going all transvestitic on her) and make yourself a nice blåskjell-ball. Finger bandages works well to.

Blåskjell is a great bait, but its a bit of work so I dont use it as often as should. For your dough, try adding eggs to make it stick to the hook, you can even try to mould it around a bead and hairrigging it. Or you can take one of those springs from a ball penn, slide it up the hook and fasten it with a bit of elastic, it helps the dough stick.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Use the really thin rubberish bait elastic to get the blåskjell to sit. (buy it at Baardsen, Haugesund) Or you can steal a pair of the missus stockings (but be sure to tell her what you intend to use it for, so she dont think you're going all transvestitic on her) and make yourself a nice blåskjell-ball. Finger bandages works well to.

Blåskjell is a great bait, but its a bit of work so I dont use it as often as should. For your dough, try adding eggs to make it stick to the hook, you can even try to mould it around a bead and hairrigging it. Or you can take one of those springs from a ball penn, slide it up the hook and fasten it with a bit of elastic, it helps the dough stick.

I've been using bait elastic with the blåskjell but even using that is trouble when You get cold hands or it gets dark then after a few little mouths have been nibbling you end up with a pile of elastic for bait.

I'm one step ahead of you with the stockings lol... they are right here on the desk :) and a roll of bandage (not so sure about that tho).

Last time i used a stocking full of minced fish and mussel as a swimfeeder I caught a whiting with a huge stomach... little bugger had swallowed the whole thing.

I used egg in one of my doughs but it stuck less than the plain flour n fish dough. the main difference i guess was that the egg dough was made a bit dryer.

I think I'll have another crack at the doughs though... maybe even cook some small doughballs in the oven.

ever tried the shrimp paste stuff at baardsen? or the lug oil? I might try those in a dough.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've been using bait elastic with the blåskjell but even using that is trouble when You get cold hands or it gets dark then after a few little mouths have been nibbling you end up with a pile of elastic for bait.

I'm one step ahead of you with the stockings lol... they are right here on the desk :D and a roll of bandage (not so sure about that tho).

Last time i used a stocking full of minced fish and mussel as a swimfeeder I caught a whiting with a huge stomach... little bugger had swallowed the whole thing.

I used egg in one of my doughs but it stuck less than the plain flour n fish dough. the main difference i guess was that the egg dough was made a bit dryer.

I think I'll have another crack at the doughs though... maybe even cook some small doughballs in the oven.

ever tried the shrimp paste stuff at baardsen? or the lug oil? I might try those in a dough.

Davie

I got the lug oil, they gave it to me for free as I complained cause it was so bloody expencive ;)

Never had any success with that yet, but I havent tried it very much

Never tried the shrimp stuff thou. I've been experimenting with some oils and fishmeal and stuff in old socks as swimfeeders, caught some shark and rays with that. Dont know if it was the oils or the foul smell from the socks who attracted them thou. What about dough in stockings? I know they use that for carp. Keep us posted about the paste stuff, I've been thinking a lot about stuff like that myself.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I got the lug oil, they gave it to me for free as I complained cause it was so bloody expencive :D

Never had any success with that yet, but I havent tried it very much

Never tried the shrimp stuff thou. I've been experimenting with some oils and fishmeal and stuff in old socks as swimfeeders, caught some shark and rays with that. Dont know if it was the oils or the foul smell from the socks who attracted them thou. What about dough in stockings? I know they use that for carp. Keep us posted about the paste stuff, I've been thinking a lot about stuff like that myself.

UK fisherman generally rate lug and rag as the best baits (beyond peeler crab) , I guess it might be washing out too easilly... or just rubbish lol.

If You want sharks the traditional rubby dubby mix is usually just bran, fishmeal and pilchard oil. I've wanted to try that for so long but I don't really wanna catch a shark.

I think the dough will have to go in a stocking if it falls off as easy as the last ones. I did actually groundbait with the last dough (mackarel based) and I'm certain the fishing picked up after a short while.

I've picked a couple of kilos of blåskjell today at low water, real big juicy ones for some mixes, a single one was too big for the rig I was using. Caught 4 whiting on the one bait.

Then I fished the fresh whiting for the rest of the day and it was really good for the dabs... the keepers were like dinner plates :) Whole day was just whiting and dabs, hundreds of em but fun anyway.

then later on I decided on another one of My experiments... I've often heard that shark fishermen in the UK will use WD40 in their rubby dubby mix, so on saturday I picked up a can at the co-op. I had almost forgotten until I was rifling through My bag this evening and found it. I had a washed out piece of whiting on the hook so I took it out and gave it a good blast of WD40 and tossed it back out. I wasn't particularly hopeful but it got chased down through the water and set upon by the whiting cast after cast!

So at least one of the mixes will contain WD40 :)

Davie

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider