Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Info on Sola needed!

Hello to you all, i'm from the UK and will be working in Stavanger for the next six months, staying at tha Sola Strand Hotel.

Will this beach, and the rocks to the North provide me wih some sport, if so, any tips will get me started. If not, any other marks close by [no transport] would be greatly appreciated.

I do both shore and boat fishing at home and would love to catch one of your prized cod or coalfish.

Regards, Uggmiest.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello to you all, i'm from the UK and will be working in Stavanger for the next six months, staying at tha Sola Strand Hotel.

Will this beach, and the rocks to the North provide me wih some sport, if so, any tips will get me started. If not, any other marks close by [no transport] would be greatly appreciated.

I do both shore and boat fishing at home and would love to catch one of your prized cod or coalfish.

Regards, Uggmiest.

most common species here would be turbot, sea-trout and dab

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Regards, Uggmiest.

be careful what You wish for... small coalies are like a plague in spring in the unfrozen parts of Norway.

Big cod and coalies are up north... not worth the airfare IMHO.

Did someone just mention turbot? :)

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Depends on how the beaches has taken the winterstorms. The year before last year was a disaster with shallow water at 100 yards. Last year was better, with ok depths at 30-40 meters. Lets hope this year is more like last...

30-40 meters only 100 yds out? thats pretty steep for a beach.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Cheers lads, any fish will keep me busy. What are your typical baits, and where do you buy it?

frozen mackarel and frozen shrimp from most supermarkets or fresh mussel if you don't mind getting mucky. all top baits... prove me wrong.

Cod fishing ain't bad right now if You have Your heart set on it they are all getting ready to spawn and are real close in. Not the monsters from sørøya etc. you read about in TSF and SeaAngler but some nice fish.

last weeks efforts: 2kilo and 2.2:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/at...is/Bilde001.jpg

next day 3.6Kg:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/at...is/Bilde005.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/at...is/Bilde003.jpg

and todays best...6KG :D :

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/at...is/Bilde041.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/at...is/Bilde038.jpg

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Very nice fish mate!

Thanks for the tips guys. Wil also be having a boat trip. I think there's one in Tananger, is it wothwhile having a steam out?

always good to go deeper, You never know, might get a halibut or something a wee bit special.

finding charter boats is a pain tho as it seems Norwegians all own their own boats.

Theres a nice boat report with photos in the vestlandet section today... ling n hound I think it was.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fished the rocks North of the beach last night using prawn, mussel and herring.

Hooked a decent fish second cast, got hung up in the thick kelp and lost it.

Missed a couple of bites after that, then got pestered by crabs.

Not the best nights fishing, but I know the fish are there.

sounds like you should scout some clean ground in Your free time or give the beach a try next time out.

nothing worse than losing gear and fish to kelp and rocks.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Maybe you're right, but all my fishing is done over the rough stuff, it's what i'm used to.

And losing fish just makes me more determined to fish the mark again, until I level the score anyway.

I'll fish the beach when my mags are loaded with 18lb line, as they're full with 35lb at the moment, limiting my range to around 100+yds. Will bring another two over for the beach after Easter and give it a go.

The beach looks pretty shallow too, so waders will be needed I think.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

shallow beach is probably fine for sea trout if You can spin on your current setup.

I dunno that beach personally but I'm guessing there must be some cod there at this time of year going tail up in the shallows. they really are greedy and stupid right now... I'm quite bored of catching them now.

"And losing fish just makes me more determined to fish the mark again, until I level the score anyway."

LOL... sounds like Me. I like a good grudge match.

Davie

You can check the depths on this map... just zoom in on a spot you like the look of and see. It has found Me a couple of nice spots to fish, just a shame it doesn't tell the substrate as well:

http://kart.fmro.no/arealis42/index.jsp

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry Ian for the very late reply, I was using the hotel tv browser and typing on a remote control is a pain in the arse. Now I have my laptop.

I've been working everyday lately so not been able to fish as much as I wanted, though I did get out a few Saturdays ago during a medium sea, had a few whiting to mussle bait. I fished the South of the beach during darkness.

Anyway, the overtime is coming to an end and I'll let you know if I plan to go out mate.

I also fished further round to the South near Ølberg? during daylight on a very sunny day a couple of weeks back. I was fishing into very deep water over quite rough ground using mussle and prawn. Amongst the crab bites, and crabs landed(good sized brown crabs), I had three codling, all around 2lb and all kelpys(bright red kelp dwellers).

Which leads me to my next question, like in Britain, do the cod move inshore to feed during the colder Winter months and big seas? As finding three kelpys during Summer in a few hours usually indicates a Winter hotspot with the sea running! Any answers to this appreciated.

Lee.

P.S. All fish and crabs returned!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Which leads me to my next question, like in Britain, do the cod move inshore to feed during the colder Winter months and big seas? As finding three kelpys during Summer in a few hours usually indicates a Winter hotspot with the sea running! Any answers to this appreciated.

Catching 3 kelpies during summer indicates You are no longer in England :)

Winter was pish in my locale for cod, only caught some 2 kilo fish in deeper water outside the fjord in about 25-30M deep sound.

Early spring is pure mental tho! more cod than You could shake a stick at. local netter got 40 decent cod in one night.

Now its summer again its just the occasional rock here and there... and mostly at night.

I can't make any sense of the trend here other than spring is good for cod, rest of the year not as good.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 months later...