Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

which flies for what fish?

people assume that if you flyfish in the sea you are after trout and bass or cod and pollack and most flies are tipped as a good trout/bass fly, good cod/pollack fly etc.

Most of the time I guess thats true but those fish can be out of range, out of season, not hungry or just not stupid at certain times when I'd happily spend My day chucking a fly around.

what I wanna know is what other fish will take a fly? and what patterns will take them?

I know mackarel and gars take flies and I've heard wrasse do. are there specific patterns or is it just the same old baitfish patterns and luck?

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My experience is that as long there is motion in the fly the fish will take, and of all possible fish to fish on with a fly rod I have caught them (except a few like Tangstikling, ålekvabbe etc). For minor fish species a small nymph like bead head hares ear is awesome. For the rest, a living fly with motion and white and various colors work! Its more location location, depth and technique.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My experience is that as long there is motion in the fly the fish will take, and of all possible fish to fish on with a fly rod I have caught them (except a few like Tangstikling, ålekvabbe etc). For minor fish species a small nymph like bead head hares ear is awesome. For the rest, a living fly with motion and white and various colors work! Its more location location, depth and technique.

I have a few brown wooly nymphs in my trout box that might cut it with the minor species then... and a pink flash one incase they don't :)

do You fish that nymph just under the surface in the sea or go deeper and work them like baitfish?

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have a few brown wooly nymphs in my trout box that might cut it with the minor species then... and a pink flash one incase they don't :)

do You fish that nymph just under the surface in the sea or go deeper and work them like baitfish?

Davie

Most of these small fish live by the edges of big rocks with deep water, or in the seaweed growing on peers and harbors. I usually jigg it for fish like (don't know the English word for them) bergylte, bergnebb, rødnebb, grønngylte, gressgylte, sypike, div. kutlinger etc.

For the rest and bigger species of bergylte etc fish imitations and wollybuggers work as a dream. You will be surprized to see the number of fish suddenly jumping out of the weed bed when dragging a fly over ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Norwegian saltwather fly records link.

Holy mackarel... 5+ kilo steinbit on the fly!!! :lol: thats one pattern I want in my box.

few board members on the list too... what a talented bunch :)

Davie

Most of these small fish live by the edges of big rocks with deep water, or in the seaweed growing on peers and harbors. I usually jigg it for fish like (don't know the English word for them) bergylte, bergnebb, rødnebb, grønngylte, gressgylte, sypike, div. kutlinger etc.

For the rest and bigger species of bergylte etc fish imitations and wollybuggers work as a dream. You will be surprized to see the number of fish suddenly jumping out of the weed bed when dragging a fly over ;)

We call most of em wrasse... or "spiky little bait robbing devil" etc. there are tons of em at My usual place as it is a straight drop off the rock into 12-15 meters of water. If the North wind is still killing My trout fishing then I shall jig for them tomorrow B)

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Holy mackarel... 5+ kilo steinbit on the fly!!! :o thats one pattern I want in my box.

few board members on the list too... what a talented bunch :P

Davie

We call most of em wrasse... or "spiky little bait robbing devil" etc. there are tons of em at My usual place as it is a straight drop off the rock into 12-15 meters of water. If the North wind is still killing My trout fishing then I shall jig for them tomorrow :P

Davie

Good luck bro :D

I could have had 7 fish on that list :P

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Good luck bro :P

I could have had 7 fish on that list :P

cheers... shall post the results... if any lol.

I always read those lists and think I could have broken a few records but scales are just more gear to carry.

gonna go look through My box for tomorrows weapons of choice... rabbit hair shrimp sounds lucky.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider