Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Sea Trout Fishing in Oslo Fjord

The time is NOW! spring and autumn are considered best times for seatrout... Tho they can be caught the whole year round, they just tend to be a bit deeper when the weather is not to their liking.

Try sandy ground with rocky outcrops and weed in bunches. run a fly over the weed and watch it turn into bars of silver.

Any norwegian will tell you that a clear intermediate line is best... some Danes say floating... I use both clear intermediate and sink3. Sinking line cuts the wind a bit better and intermediate hovers long enough over the shallows. They all work well enough just like in fresh water but If you do use a floater then You will be at the mercy of the wind and there is plenty of that by the sea.

As for Flies, Baitfish imitations rule. Epoxy fish, clouser type minnows, decievers are absolute guaranteed anywhere in the world. Chartreuse or green with white as a base colour seem best. very sparse haired flies seem to do better as well. Marabou heavy flies like fritzs etc. work very well too but don't last long in the sea

For a more thrilling take try muddlers and other surface sillouhette flies.

I can't recommend anything for Oslo specifically.

think I've touched on everything... hope it helps.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The time is NOW! spring and autumn are considered best times for seatrout... Tho they can be caught the whole year round, they just tend to be a bit deeper when the weather is not to their liking.

Try sandy ground with rocky outcrops and weed in bunches. run a fly over the weed and watch it turn into bars of silver.

Any norwegian will tell you that a clear intermediate line is best... some Danes say floating... I use both clear intermediate and sink3. Sinking line cuts the wind a bit better and intermediate hovers long enough over the shallows. They all work well enough just like in fresh water but If you do use a floater then You will be at the mercy of the wind and there is plenty of that by the sea.

As for Flies, Baitfish imitations rule. Epoxy fish, clouser type minnows, decievers are absolute guaranteed anywhere in the world. Chartreuse or green with white as a base colour seem best. very sparse haired flies seem to do better as well. Marabou heavy flies like fritzs etc. work very well too but don't last long in the sea

For a more thrilling take try muddlers and other surface sillouhette flies.

I can't recommend anything for Oslo specifically.

think I've touched on everything... hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply/advice!

Think I'm gonna have a look out fishing over Fornebu/Snarøya tonight when the sun goes down, they say more/bigger fish come closer into shore when it's dark - so fingers crossed!

Think I'll go for the clear intermediate approach with a clouser minnow like you said, I've got a few of those in different colours to change things round a bit! Think I'll also take the spinning rod if my arm start to ache or if the wind becomes an issue!

If any Norwegians out there are a bit shy of replying in English, feel free to write in Norwegain and I'll get the Mrs. to translate it.

Thanks again "atomichaggis" for the reply.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm told Big trout tend to be most active when we are least active but I've hooked big ones by day and little ones by night just the same. I think more than anything its just nicer to be out when all the jetski/speedboat nuiscances have gone home :)

If you are gonna fish in the later twighlight I would opt for a silouhette fly like a muddler or big black zonkers which are widely acclaimed as 'The' nightime fly... I can't vouch for the Zonker Myself as I haven't used it much but the muddlers are great fun to pop along the top.

Goundbaiting with mackarel also helps, It can turn a 2 fish seshion into 20. just make sure you know which way the tide is flowing and cast downtide (perhaps slightly across)... trout sit facing uptide in the sea as they do in a river.

as for the spinning rod... arm yourself with Møre-silda lures, the 10 gram is an absolute killer.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm told Big trout tend to be most active when we are least active but I've hooked big ones by day and little ones by night just the same. I think more than anything its just nicer to be out when all the jetski/speedboat nuiscances have gone home :)

If you are gonna fish in the later twighlight I would opt for a silouhette fly like a muddler or big black zonkers which are widely acclaimed as 'The' nightime fly... I can't vouch for the Zonker Myself as I haven't used it much but the muddlers are great fun to pop along the top.

Goundbaiting with mackarel also helps, It can turn a 2 fish seshion into 20. just make sure you know which way the tide is flowing and cast downtide (perhaps slightly across)... trout sit facing uptide in the sea as they do in a river.

as for the spinning rod... arm yourself with Møre-silda lures, the 10 gram is an absolute killer.

Yeah totally agree with you about speed boats/jetskii's!

Dont have any zonkers in my box at the minute, think i'll tie a few tonight in some darker colours for night fishing!

I've got loads of those Møre-Sild lures, and I've caught practically every fish except the sea trout! :)

Never tried the groundbaiting though, if I catch a mackrell I'll knock it on the head, slice it up and chuck out a ground bait to see what happens!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

some flies to try on the mainsite, the Duddler looks the business for night fishing... SeaTrout Flies

The flat clipped bottom is pretty useful on these types of flies as round ones can be lousy with hook ups... I think a double or treble hook would be good on a big round one.

Groundbaiting is so good its almost unsporting but you gotta use the right bait or be pestered by the wrong fish all night.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 year later...

Hello my name is Keith Peavy, I am quite new to town. I have been reading your postings here about the fishing in the fjords. I live in Sandvika, Baerum area and am looking to get into some fishing. I was wondering if you might have some advice for me as I am getting started. I will be using a spinning reel with the Møre-silda lures that have been mentioned. I have recently lived in Charleston South Carolina and have enjoyed some amazing in-shore fishing. I am aware that I am uncharted waters and have a desire to learn of the area and the fish. I would appreciate any knowledge that you might be willing to pass along.

Sincerely,

Keith Peavy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello my name is Keith Peavy, I am quite new to town. I have been reading your postings here about the fishing in the fjords. I live in Sandvika, Baerum area and am looking to get into some fishing. I was wondering if you might have some advice for me as I am getting started. I will be using a spinning reel with the Møre-silda lures that have been mentioned. I have recently lived in Charleston South Carolina and have enjoyed some amazing in-shore fishing. I am aware that I am uncharted waters and have a desire to learn of the area and the fish. I would appreciate any knowledge that you might be willing to pass along.

Sincerely,

Keith Peavy

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum! Kalvøya and the Fornebu area is often mentioned as places worth visiting. There are at times a lot of people fishing these waters, but if you don't mind getting up early (at the shore around 04-ish), you won't be competing with too many others. It's also the best fishing time during the summer season in my opinion, no speed boats and very few swimmers ;)

I would recommend a visit to the tackle store on Lysaker Brygge: Nordisk Fiskeutstyr (www.nfisk.no). Very helpful and knowledgeable staff, that can give you some advice on when and where to fish. But with the prices here in Norway, I guess you will likely buy your tackle back home in the US :wub:

And don't forget to do at least one trip up north (e.g. Lofoten) to do some really hefty ocean fishing.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum! Kalvøya and the Fornebu area is often mentioned as places worth visiting. There are at times a lot of people fishing these waters, but if you don't mind getting up early (at the shore around 04-ish), you won't be competing with too many others. It's also the best fishing time during the summer season in my opinion, no speed boats and very few swimmers :)

I would recommend a visit to the tackle store on Lysaker Brygge: Nordisk Fiskeutstyr (www.nfisk.no). Very helpful and knowledgeable staff, that can give you some advice on when and where to fish. But with the prices here in Norway, I guess you will likely buy your tackle back home in the US :D

And don't forget to do at least one trip up north (e.g. Lofoten) to do some really hefty ocean fishing.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will definitely give the 4 am run a go.

Sincerely,

Keith Peavy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider