Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Fly line for salmon

Hi,

I recently purchased a 14ft #9/10 double handed fly rod to try my luck for salmon in Drammenselva !

However, I don't know whether to go for a spey line or a shooting head! :D

Any advice about line choice and recommended densities would be greatly appreciated?

Regards

Jonathan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

on to the salmon already... any luck with the trout yet?

No luck with the trout - yet!

Took the new Greys GRXi 8.5ft #4/5 out for a spin on Sunday and was very impressed!

It was more an impulse buy to be honest, got talking to a guy in Prima Villmarksliv and he said they had a sale on to get rid of old stock! Got a Slate GHX 14ft #9/10 (normal price NOK2099) and a Slate Classic salmon reel (normal price NOK799) for a total of NOK 999! Needless to say I couldn't say no! The same price as a quiet night out in Oslo :)

Just need to learn how to cast with the bloody thing now, it's like a telephone pole! :D

We live in hope! :)

Endret av Jonathan
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hell... don't get much for 999kr in Norway. Sounds like a smart buy...providing You can use it lol.

My uncle got the greys as well, He is quite chuffed. it got quite an outing too... He was invited to a place by a poker friend who turns out to breed trout! several fish over 7lb and a couple of smaller ones gave the rod its baptism.

Are You sure there are any trout round Your way? I catch trout almost daily... tho recently its taken a downturn and been replaced by mackies and gars.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hell... don't get much for 999kr in Norway. Sounds like a smart buy...providing You can use it lol.

My uncle got the greys as well, He is quite chuffed. it got quite an outing too... He was invited to a place by a poker friend who turns out to breed trout! several fish over 7lb and a couple of smaller ones gave the rod its baptism.

Are You sure there are any trout round Your way? I catch trout almost daily... tho recently its taken a downturn and been replaced by mackies and gars.

I'll get back to you on the "being able to use it" part ! :D

I got the Greys GRXi 8.5ft #4/5 for the fresh water rivers and lakes in Nordmarka, just outside of Oslo. It was the first time I've been on Sunday, so hopefully it'll get a bit more productive in the future when I get my bearings!

I use a 10.5ft #7/8 for saltwater fly fishing in the Oslo fjord for sea trout, although I haven't managed to connect with one yet! I've had a couple of nice cod, gars and cole fish tho! Going to get out in my float tube soon so that should give me a few more options! its great fun and scary at the same time! :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

RE Trout:

Try a quicker retrieve and a sinking line... works for Me. the quick retrieve always seperates the the trout from the cod and to an extent the coalies etc. A sink 3 will maintain the same depth as an intermediate if You 'motor it'.

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for all the advice!

A shooting head it is ! :wub:

Apparently they are easier to cast with as well, so thats a bonus!

Jonathan

Have You used a shooting head before?...

Its like casting with overhang. get it wrong and its 'chuck n' duck'.... wear a hat :angry:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Have You used a shooting head before?...

Its like casting with overhang. get it wrong and its 'chuck n' duck'.... wear a hat :angry:

Only on a single handed rod years ago!

Double handed should be interesting though! :wub:

We'll just have to see!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider