Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Lion's Mane Jellyfish sting

Does anyone have a guaranteed cure for being stung By a Lion's mane? (Manet?)

There are bloody millions of Them around here. I got stung by a loose tendril on My fishing line a few weeks ago and today whilst Freediving I skillfully avoided a little one whilst heading for the surface only to swim into their Mothership and my face, wrists and heel is on fire.

So far I've tried salty water(hot and cold), vinegar and some powder stuff all of which are useless.

It Will probably wear off soon and as Much as it hurts... I'm sure it'll happen again so I'd like to stock up on the cure.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If u piss on a bottle and pour it all over yourself, or where u have stung yourself, it should relief u from some pain. Try some aloe vera cream after the urin. It's smart to smear beachsand into the affected areas wich releases the tiny projectiles the jellyfish shoots into the skin when touched. Good luck! I know how much pain this is, trust me. Met a mothership myself last year, no fun!

PS: Have not tried the urin part, so don' go crazy on me if it does'nt work hehehe :D But I've read so and seen it on TV.

Endret av westside
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If u piss on a bottle and pour it all over yourself, or where u have stung yourself, it should relief u from some pain. Try some aloe vera cream after the urin. It's smart to smear beachsand into the affected areas wich releases the tiny projectiles the jellyfish shoots into the skin when touched. Good luck! I know how much pain this is, trust me. Met a mothership myself last year, no fun!

PS: Have not tried the urin part, so don' go crazy on me if it does'nt work hehehe :D But I've read so and seen it on TV.

I haven't tried peeing on it, although I am aware it's supposed to help. Trouble is the worst sting is on My lips as the tendrils snapped off around My snorkel and sat there til I could shake them off... Don't fancy puttin piss on My lips lol.

If I can't find some good product soon I might fill a bottle just incase.

Thankfully I was wearing a full length suit with hood or it would have been My entire body burning.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 weeks later...

Sunscreen lotion prevents I've heard, if u're allready stung lidokain heps against the burn...

That would be waterproof sunscreen I guess? which will be good news if it works cos Summer has been so bad We got plenty of it lying around :P

I'll have to look up lidokain... it must work, has a nice name.

Thanks for the tips!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First wash the contact area in sea water. Avoid freshwater and alcohol based liquids as this may cause the nematocells from the jellyfish threads to release all the poison at once.

Urine helps as the ammonia neutralizes the poison. Milk or baking soda may help, lidocaine gel and Burn aid gel is good stuff.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First wash the contact area in sea water. Avoid freshwater and alcohol based liquids as this may cause the nematocells from the jellyfish threads to release all the poison at once.

Urine helps as the ammonia neutralizes the poison. Milk or baking soda may help, lidocaine gel and Burn aid gel is good stuff.

I've read that the urine method isn't advised any longer and neither is vinegar... can't remember why... way too technical.

No way I'm puttin piss on My lips anyway ;) I did try vinegar last time too but quickly discovered a cut near the sting :P

I tried yoghurt last time too... kinda same as milk but didn't help. only thing that soothed was hot salty water but then it hurt again when i took the sore parts out... probably got the mixture wrong and the change in osmotic pressure would have made it worse.

someone recommended anti protein lens cleaner... which sounds about right for cleaning the stinging bits off. might have to look that one up.

Lidocaine and burn aid is sounding like a convenient solution to the burn... definately one for the dive bag.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Grow some balls and live with it, it aint that bad :o

It almost had Me for dinner! I was wrapped in tendrils from head to way beyond My feet!

Great white has got nothing on a lion's mane.

the best advice so far!

When was the last time You got a facial from a lion's mane?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

All (at least mostly) of the poison delivered in a sting from a manet or bee is protein based. That means that high temperature vil neutralize the effect of the poison. Not sure though how high you must go to achieve the effect but if one got a bee sting in your finger, you can hold it in hot water (close to burning) for a while. A sting on the lips.. well i dunno how to soak that in hot water.....Maybe a kiss from a very hot woman would help

Endret av Biggame
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thats right m8, don't ask me how but they say it works... (I will also try it out as I also freedive...)

You gonna take a test hit from a Jellyfish to test it?

Breakin the nose and jaw is worse, but again I'm allergic so..

A swift kick in the nuts is worse but a lion's mane sting is comparable to the 4th hour in the tatttooists chair while they go over the bits they already done... only the lion's mane sting lasts for the next 8 hours.

Its comparable to being nagged by a woman for 8 hours solid.

All (at least mostly) of the poison delivered in a sting from a manet or bee is protein based. That means that high temperature vil neutralize the effect of the poison. Not sure though how high you must go to achieve the effect but if one got a bee sting in your finger, you can hold it in hot water (close to burning) for a while. A sting on the lips.. well i dunno how to soak that in hot water.....Maybe a kiss from a very hot woman would help

I was working on that principle when I used hot water (just like a weever sting).

It was so hot it burned the skin a bit. I think it worked to some degree on one ankle then it was less effective on My wrist and lips.

The lip solution was less glamorous... snorkel on, face in the bucket :P

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 weeks later...
Gjest LittleDevil

I guess you're fine now, but let me tell you the Lidokain we had in our boat saved the day for a family next to us at the beach last summer as their 4yr old boy was stung hard on his legs by a jellyfish. It works miracles!

Besides that, the hot water tip was a blast, you almost burned off skin? well that should remove the poison, it seems almost like cutting off your arm because your hand hurt though... :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I guess you're fine now, but let me tell you the Lidokain we had in our boat saved the day for a family next to us at the beach last summer as their 4yr old boy was stung hard on his legs by a jellyfish. It works miracles!

Besides that, the hot water tip was a blast, you almost burned off skin? well that should remove the poison, it seems almost like cutting off your arm because your hand hurt though... :lol:

Yep, i'm all good now. The good thing is there aren't so many jellies around now and the visibility is improving as the water cools. I hope I don't have to use the lidocaine but it will probably happen many times.

The hot water was actually very soothing so it was worth the burns lol.

Try Vodka... Mythbusters tested this with remarkable results...

This I gotta see!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The best product to use and confirmed/recommended by a doctor is Xylokain. It's a local anaesetic in a gel form which is like nothing you've ever tried. Apply it, and you'll feel no pain after 5-10 mins, it's fantastic.

I got mine from the local 'Legevakt', but I think the chemist has it too.

When I got stung I tried pissing on my leg, aloe vera, shaving the sting away but nothing really helped all that much. So a phone call to the local legevakt confimred that Xylocain was the thing, and by god did it work!!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst flicking through 'my wife's' Eve mag, I came across this:-

Urine can change the salinity of jellyfish stings thus making undischarged stinging cells to fire and spread the poison further. If your at the beach, apply a cold pack to the effected area. This remedy stops pain in 98% of cases!

So there you go, question answered!

Endret av Wiggy
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider