Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Northern fishing holidays

I called and booked the trip with transfer from the airport and had a little chat about the fishing.

We are going 30th april and staying til 4th may and have a boat for 1st(b'day), 2nd and 3rd. A bit short and a bit early in the season but you can't choose your birthday after all(tho I've been 19 since about 1998 :( ).

I bought a fair bit of equipment in anticipation of this trip but then i opted for tackle hire as i don't fancy taking it all with me... still not sure if i should pack a reel or two just incase... any Idea what the hire tackle is like? I think I'll just pack some end tackle and flo suits.

Hopefully the weather won't be severe in may but if it is we can always go into town, I always wanted to go to Tromsø so I can't fail to have a nice birthday there. First time in the arctic... I'm really excited about this trip now :)

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I do not know about what fishing gear they use, but for lucky visitors it has surely taken the beating from halibut in the 30-60 kgs range while I have stayed there. Cannot be junk then..? :blink:

The fjord itself may be relatively quiet even when the seas are quite rough, and there is some fish there too, so the weather should be really nasty in order to keep you from fishing...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I suppose it's gotta be tough enough for the job.

I remain optimistic about the weather. He said may was better than the summer last year, if it does the same again this year I'll be happy... couldn't be any worse than yesterday.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...

Had some news from friends living near Lauklines. The really big shoals of cod arrived some weeeks ago, and they have had some big boatloads on nets. Quite a few big ones around, one guy had a 28 kgs cod on a pirk a couple of weeks ago, and there has been many other big fish too. A problem now, is that it is so much capelin around, that the cod is overfed, making them not so eager to chase pirks. By the time you arrive the capelin should have left for the open sea, so i guess you might hit some hungry fish.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Had some news from friends living near Lauklines. The really big shoals of cod arrived some weeeks ago, and they have had some big boatloads on nets. Quite a few big ones around, one guy had a 28 kgs cod on a pirk a couple of weeks ago, and there has been many other big fish too. A problem now, is that it is so much capelin around, that the cod is overfed, making them not so eager to chase pirks. By the time you arrive the capelin should have left for the open sea, so i guess you might hit some hungry fish.

28kg cod... I'd be happy with one half that size! :D Would be nice if there still big cod around when I arrive. Do they take bait as well as they do pirks?

Did your friends mention how the weather is up there now? it's bad enough down here, can't imagine what its like up there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The wheather is sunny and calm now, but its rather cold -5 to -10 degrees celsius.

You should stick to pirks and big jigs so early in the year, that is at least my experience. Later in summer i often use whole ( 0,5-1,0kgs) coalfish as bait, and that works fine. This bait also gave me my best halibut, not a big fish at 18kg, but it gave one hell of a scrap on 20Ibs gear.

The locals usually tends to go for gummi- makks above the pirk, but in my opininon a big twister tail ( i prefer luminous) or a size 8/0-10/0 cod feather works better.

I used to live in the area some 20years ago, and my best cod on rod and line was 24,5kg, but i have seen 3 over 40 taken on nets, with the biggest a staggering 44+.

Realisticaly you should be thinking of slightly smaller fish , 10-15kgs is a fair goal, but with luck maybe a near twenty?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm keen to try various techniques out up there, the fella at Lauklines mentioned that Haddock are quite common on the fly... sounds crazy to me but then I read the same on world sea fishing so I might pack the flyrod if I can make space.

I will try some baitfishing in between pumping Iron tho... I fancy smashing someones Plaice PB :)

I've ordered some of these new sølvkroken octopus jigs and have a pile of Storm giant jiggin shads to see if they live up to the hype but I keep hearing the classics turn out good results so I've got a lot of heavy metal to test.

I had an Idea to use eddystone or redgill eels as droppers above the pirk... sound like a good Idea? they do the business in the UK but I've never heard of anyone using them out here.

What is the situation like for Wolffish at the beginning of may up there? I was told it is a bit early but they are catching them down here already, and What about ling and brosme too?

10-15kg is pretty damn big in my opinion, would be a thrill to get into double figures. I'm really hoping for a halibut of decent size, that would really make my trip. Failing that I'd just like to be kept busy with plenty of respectable fish, one for the dinner and perhaps a new species or two.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Never tried for haddock on the fly rod, but had many on feathers. Not the best time for big plaice, think they might be spawning. Late summer and autumn has been the best time for me, had them to 3,27 on lugworm, which can be dug on the beaches ( ruddy big ones too, up to more then 30cm).

The Giant Storm works fine, as do traditional pirks as sølvsilda and svenskepilken.

Tried Red Gills and eddystones many times, and caught fish on them too, but never had any real succes.

Bit early for the wolfies, end of may is better. Wolfies are making a bit off a comeback now, after doing a dissapearing act in the early nineties, my biggest last summer was a bit over 6kg

You will catch many brosme, but mostly under 5kgs.I have seen a couple of better fish to 12kgs on rod and line., and even bigger on long lines.

Endret av limanda
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I caught my first Norwegian Plaice around here on may 1st last year and another in the days after and they weren't spent at all the second one was in fantastic condition... not even close to 3KG tho! I'll have a try at least.

The sølvpilk and svenskepilk have been mentioned as reliable takers of Cod and Halibut so I'll pick up some of those up there.

I'm not surprised Wolfies done a disappearing act, I've seen so many old trip photos with 20ft open boat decks entirely covered with dead ones. We'll be mostly doing C+R... unreturnable fish for the dinner and maybe, just maybe a trophy fish will be coming home with me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...