Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Small boat limitations

If you haven't already checked it out, the Terhi 6020 Nordic might be an option for you. I have such a boat with a 15hp engine, and it does something like 18-19 knots with two people in it. Can't say I've tried it too many times when the weather is bad (mostly owing to me being a crab feeder of dimensions). Anyways I've had it for 6-7 years and its been a great boat!

I'm uncertain as to the price of it, but if my memory doesn't fail me it's about 60k or thereabout.

OR you could check out the Buster aluminum boats, which my friend brags about all the time.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Svar 64
  • Created
  • Siste svar

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't already checked it out, the Terhi 6020 Nordic might be an option for you. I have such a boat with a 15hp engine, and it does something like 18-19 knots with two people in it. Can't say I've tried it too many times when the weather is bad (mostly owing to me being a crab feeder of dimensions). Anyways I've had it for 6-7 years and its been a great boat!

I'm uncertain as to the price of it, but if my memory doesn't fail me it's about 60k or thereabout.

OR you could check out the Buster aluminum boats, which my friend brags about all the time.

One on Finn.no for 34,900 only trouble is its a bit on the small side. 17 foot is about as small as I dare go.

Most of the busters are a bit pricey, I think for the money I'd get a fibreglass boat of bigger proportions.

If it comes to finance for a dreamboat then I'd be aiming for a quicksilver 500 pilothouse or similar.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Cheers for the tips!

That Hansvik 18 HT has to be the cheapest one on the market, they usually go for double that price.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...

What about this one:

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...594&WT.svl=Link

I've got the same engine on one of my boats. No problems with it so far (think we bought it in 2002).

I'd already had a look at that ad the other day :) little bit on the pricey side for second hand tho... gonna start to gather around 50K then (hopefully in summer) make the hard decision whether to use it as deposit on a new boat around 150K or just get an old Rana or similar with the money.

I took a trip down to the haugesund boat show on sunday and had a look at some boats... was loving the Uttern C56, that boat was made for fishing. The little quicksilver cabin cruiser 470 was also a huge temptation but perhaps just a little bit on the small side. The Mrs was keen on a cabin tho so an old rana still seems to be a smart buy... some 18 and 20 footers been going cheap lately too :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...

I had a GH 14 with a 35HP motor on it for a while - a good boat in good weather, but I agree with an earlier post - more than a half meter waves and it wouldn't be comfortable fishing with it. I doubt the GH 15 would be that much better. The boat handles the waves OK and I wouldn't call it dangerous with a half meter waves, but you just spend too much time bouncing around and holding on.

Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

.....maybe a bit oversized and offtopic....but I looked to a lot of boats in the last couple of years - it's hard to find the right one....

I compared so many boats from UK, Germany, Netherlands and Denmark.

Finally, I decided for a 30 year old RANA22 Snekker with a 23HP VOLVO MD11C - I bought it in Dobrak and after one year restauration I carry the boat now everywhere on a 2,5t trailer. :)

Next month I will be in Rennesoy - long trip from home (1800km) - but no problem with the right car :D

I overhauled the boat completely and I was totally surprised, that this old RANA had more or less no osmose at all - after more than 30 years in water!

So - I would always buy a RANA again ! :lol:

Some pictures here:

http://www.maretech.de/galerie/2-Restauration.html

Here is the boat before the first trail in Denmark:

phoca_thumb_l_100_1672.JPG

Best regards and greeting from Germany.

Woody

Endret av Mario Wuttke
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I had a GH 14 with a 35HP motor on it for a while - a good boat in good weather, but I agree with an earlier post - more than a half meter waves and it wouldn't be comfortable fishing with it. I doubt the GH 15 would be that much better. The boat handles the waves OK and I wouldn't call it dangerous with a half meter waves, but you just spend too much time bouncing around and holding on.

Mike

OK thanks for the input :lol: I think they do a 17 footer as well, I'm sure I've seen them advertised... trouble is the good boats are always so far away :lol:

Hi atomichaggis

.....maybe a bit oversized and offtopic....but I looked to a lot of boats in the last couple of years - it's hard to find the right one....

I compared so many boats from UK, Germany, Netherlands and Denmark.

Finally, I decided for a 30 year old RANA22 Snekker with a 23HP VOLVO MD11C - I bought it in Dobrak and after one year restauration I carry the boat now everywhere on a 2,5t trailer. :)

Next month I will be in Rennesoy - long trip from home (1800km) - but no problem with the right car :lol:

I overhauled the boat completely and I was totally surprised, that this old RANA had more or less no osmose at all - after more than 30 years in water!

So - I would always buy a RANA again ! :lol:

Some pictures here:

http://www.maretech.de/galerie/2-Restauration.html

Here is the boat before the first trail in Denmark:

phoca_thumb_l_100_1672.JPG

Best regards and greeting from Germany.

Woody

Nice boat Woody! I have been considering the Rana 18' cabin and the 22' snekke like yours but I've run into a problem with moorings... bloody hard to find any for more than 6 months a year around here! I don't drive either so it narrows my options a bit too.

Its looking like I'm gonna have to keep a boat on a trailer in the garden and have someone launch it for me on the weekends and holidays so something thats easy for a family saloon car to tow is essential now.

I'm still quite keen on a Rana boat in anycase, preferably a 17 (530) with a hardtop but I could go for a '16 US' as well. I lost the chance of 2 perfect boats recently a Rana 17 and øien 17 :lol: just gotta be patient and wait for the next decent boat to become available now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Nice boat Woody! I have been considering the Rana 18' cabin and the 22' snekke like yours but I've run into a problem with moorings...[...]

Hi atomichaggis,

thanks for the "flowers" :lol:

I live near Aachen - so far away from the sea. I always take by trailer to the north- or baltic sea. In this size and weight it's a bit tricky - but still cheaper and more flexible instead of having it alway at the same place.

With a 17-17ft boat there will be no problem at all....

BTW:

I found my boat at finn.no - and yes, it was a long trip to get her (2400km).

A RANA 17 is a pretty nice and stable boat. It should be possible to get one - its just a question of time and budget :lol: .

So fingers cross and good luck!

Best regards,

Mario

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2400KM :blush: I'm only looking locally :)

I suppose if I drove then I would travel a fairly long way for the right boat. I had wanted to buy a new øien 530 hard top but all the dealers are many miles away. There are also plenty of old Rana 17s for reasonable prices currently for sale but all miles away.

I dunno if its still for sale but this one caught my eye, Rana 16 US

I could pay that but the price seems a bit high for that boat and I'm not so sure about the motor on it either.

There is also a 15' crescent with a 25hp 4 stroke for 45K... tempting for the motor.

Endret av atomichaggis
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

the problem here in Germany was simply, that there are no displacement boats available - so I had to look far away to the north - Denmark and Norway. Actually I was twice in Norway for a Sjark - but the first time the boat was twice the weight than promised by the seller....so I drove back with an empty trailer.....

long story....

The RANA 16 from your link looks pretty good. When the engine is ok - the price with trailer is ok I guess.

I would not go below 16ft - otherwise the boat will be very "sensitive" and will not go nicely with slow speed.

In "rough seas" 16ft is already small..... :D

Hope you find the right boat.

Maybe we see each other next moth on the Boknafjord :)

Greetings from Germany,

Woody

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What kind of car are you towing your boat with?

There is a lot of cheap wooden sjarks around... they must weigh an incredible amount tho. Rana do a nice plastic one but it aint cheap!

The Rana 16 US is quite a temptation, I'm liking the high freeboard... that helps with rough seas. I can't tell from the pics but the V at the front suggest its quite heavilly keeled as well, so should have good directional stability too.

I hope to be out on boknafjord soon... missed too much good weather already!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Went around a few dealers today to have a look at boats, had a look at the OMC aliminium boat but its seen better days. I saw a number of Rana 17s in storage at the same dealers.

Got to the last dealers of the day over on Karmøy and asked about a couple of Ranas in a lock up across the yard and the guy said they were in storage but he could sell me his boat. he had a Rana 17 hiding out back :blush:

I now own an 86 Rana 17!!! :lol:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

What kind of car are you towing your boat with?

There is a lot of cheap wooden sjarks around... they must weigh an incredible amount tho. Rana do a nice plastic one but it aint cheap!

The Rana 16 US is quite a temptation, I'm liking the high freeboard... that helps with rough seas. I can't tell from the pics but the V at the front suggest its quite heavilly keeled as well, so should have good directional stability too.

I hope to be out on boknafjord soon... missed too much good weather already!

I have a Hyundai Terracan - it can pull 3,5t. So there is still some reserve ;-)

It's 2,9 ltr. CDI 4 cyl. Diesel - the best car I ever had. The good thing is the reduction gear - so I can pull the boat out of the water with very low speed and more or less no stress....

Actually - I'm a wood fan. I build even a wodden house ;-))

The first boat I wanted to buy in Norway was a 24ft Rolfnses Sjark. Nice and strong wooden boat with aluminum wheelhouse. It was in Skundeshavn. After trying to pull the boat on the trailer, I stopped and they ordered a cran and a scale. After removing approx. 400kg ballast - the boat was still 3.2 to - instead of the 1,6 what was promised in the contract....

I used some smaller rental boats with 14-16ft on the Baltic sea. Mostly Ryds-Boats. After the experience with 6-7bft on the little belt - I would say - never below 17ft min. The stability is mostly driven by the length of the boat and hull form. But if you drive the boat as a "displacement boat" in bad conditions - any millimeter hull length counts ;-))

Actually I will be in Rennesoy next moth from the 05-19. July. So Boknafjord, and also a trip to Kvitsoy is on "my plan". Maybe - if the weather is ok - I want to go to Skudneshavn - but we will see.....

Hope you find the right boat very soon !

Best regards,

Woody

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest gjørs

Went around a few dealers today to have a look at boats, had a look at the OMC aliminium boat but its seen better days. I saw a number of Rana 17s in storage at the same dealers.

Got to the last dealers of the day over on Karmøy and asked about a couple of Ranas in a lock up across the yard and the guy said they were in storage but he could sell me his boat. he had a Rana 17 hiding out back :)

I now own an 86 Rana 17!!! :D

Congratz.

La oss få se litt flere bilder da. Den skal vel bli havfiskerigget? :hailfs:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

I have a Hyundai Terracan - it can pull 3,5t. So there is still some reserve ;-)

It's 2,9 ltr. CDI 4 cyl. Diesel - the best car I ever had. The good thing is the reduction gear - so I can pull the boat out of the water with very low speed and more or less no stress....

Actually - I'm a wood fan. I build even a wodden house ;-))

The first boat I wanted to buy in Norway was a 24ft Rolfnses Sjark. Nice and strong wooden boat with aluminum wheelhouse. It was in Skundeshavn. After trying to pull the boat on the trailer, I stopped and they ordered a cran and a scale. After removing approx. 400kg ballast - the boat was still 3.2 to - instead of the 1,6 what was promised in the contract....

I used some smaller rental boats with 14-16ft on the Baltic sea. Mostly Ryds-Boats. After the experience with 6-7bft on the little belt - I would say - never below 17ft min. The stability is mostly driven by the length of the boat and hull form. But if you drive the boat as a "displacement boat" in bad conditions - any millimeter hull length counts ;-))

Actually I will be in Rennesoy next moth from the 05-19. July. So Boknafjord, and also a trip to Kvitsoy is on "my plan". Maybe - if the weather is ok - I want to go to Skudneshavn - but we will see.....

Hope you find the right boat very soon !

Best regards,

Woody

The Mrs's Old man's Skoda managed with the boat so no worries there now :hailfs: Need to talk him into gettin a Hyundai Terracan by the sounds of it tho :D

I think I've seen that Rolfsnes sjark advertised on finn.no... looks a real heavyweight, Perhaps if it was over its listed weight it has some water inside somewhere?

I was out in a rental øien 530f recently and it was as steady as a living room floor... weather was pretty good that time tho. the Rana is almost the same size so it should be good.

I have a feeling the weather will be just fine the whole summer through... Be sure to do a trip report after

your trip!

congratulations !!!! Right decision.....

I hope you will have a lot of fun with her.....

What engine is installed?

Best regards,

Woody

Feels like the right choice, been smiling all day.

It still has the original motor on, just a 25 Jonsohn seahorse. I shall start saving for a 4 stroke next... probably a 35-40hp.

Congratz.

La oss få se litt flere bilder da. Den skal vel bli havfiskerigget? :)

Haven't got detailed pics of the boat yet, just pics of me sitting in it the Mrs took.

I've been thinking about how to make it more fishing friendly all day, so far I've thought of rodholders... need to look through the forum for some inspiration :D

boat018.jpg

boat009.jpg

boat020.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

[...]

I think I've seen that Rolfsnes sjark advertised on finn.no... looks a real heavyweight, Perhaps if it was over its listed weight it has some water inside somewhere?

[...]

I have a feeling the weather will be just fine the whole summer through... Be sure to do a trip report after

your trip!

[...]

It still has the original motor on, just a 25 Jonsohn seahorse. I shall start saving for a 4 stroke next... probably a 35-40hp.

[...]

The rolfsnes sjark story was in 2005. I did not see the boat again. The wooden boats alway have a bit more weight than the GFKs - but I got the guaranty from the seller inthe contract - so he payed the expense ;)

I hope the weather will be ok next month - but it's norway - right? :)

The trip report will be done - of course....

Are you located in Haugesund? What's about a trip together next month?

I would leave the engine "as is" if its ok and invest in other stuff like safety equipment etc.

A boat is alway a "black hole" for money :lol:

See you (maybe) in Norway !

Best regards,

Woody

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

The rolfsnes sjark story was in 2005. I did not see the boat again. The wooden boats alway have a bit more weight than the GFKs - but I got the guaranty from the seller inthe contract - so he payed the expense ;)

I hope the weather will be ok next month - but it's norway - right? :)

The trip report will be done - of course....

Are you located in Haugesund? What's about a trip together next month?

I would leave the engine "as is" if its ok and invest in other stuff like safety equipment etc.

A boat is alway a "black hole" for money :lol:

See you (maybe) in Norway !

Best regards,

Woody

There is a 22 going cheap on Karmøy now... http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnko...424&WT.svl=Link

Was a 24 a while ago costing not much more than that one.

I'll be glad of some cooler weather, I suffer in this heat. Almost got eaten alive by midges last night and haven't caught anything but mackarel and pollack the last few times I've gone spinning... I don't understand why i look forward to summer at all.

I'm Living near haugesund in Tysvær kommune so if you make it over to this side of boknafjorden then its quite likely we can take a trip. Remind me in July and we'll see if we can arrange something... You do know some good fishing grounds right?

The list grows everyday... Safety box with flares etc. spare fuel tank, several hundred metres of rope, anchor chain, chart plotter/GPS/fish finder, fish boxes... what am I forgetting?

The engine starts easy, selects gears smoothly and has been on the boat since its birth so it can't be bad. It has a break on the mounting bracket on one side tho but it is solid and doesn't move at all. I have a spare mounting bracket to replace it with if I want but I think the next time I tinker with the engine it will be to replace it. There Isn't a lot of space for spare fuel tanks and I live at the most inner part of førlandsfjorden so fuel economy is gonna be an issue a modern 4 stroke deals far better with than my old seahorse.

BOAT (bōt)

noun

A hole in the water you throw money into.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

There is a 22 going cheap on Karmøy now...

Was a 24 a while ago costing not much more than that one.

[...]

I'll be glad of some cooler weather, I suffer in this heat.

[...]

I'm Living near haugesund in Tysvær kommune so if you make it over to this side of boknafjorden then its quite likely we can take a trip. Remind me in July and we'll see if we can arrange something... You do know some good fishing grounds right?

The list grows everyday... Safety box with flares etc. spare fuel tank, several hundred metres of rope, anchor chain, chart plotter/GPS/fish finder, fish boxes... what am I forgetting?

[...]

The boat looked similar to the 22 at finn.no - but it had a bit bigger wheelhouse. I like the style of these boats...

"Hot" weather is a horror for me, too. Last year my wife wanted to go to Slovenia - every day 35°C and more - it was no holiday at all...

I have some good places for the Boknafjord - of course :)

There are some good hot spots mentioned by friends and people out of the "norwegen-angelforum". I have also contact to a German guy, living in Stavanger. He is currently talking to some commercial fishers and will report some good places next week. My target is to catch some ling and lumb - on natural baits. But I also want to fish on cod, pollak and col. Fishing and boating is 50:50 - so I will have fun even without fish :)

Hmm - safety equipment?

Fire extinguisher, drift anchor, manual horn (if fog is comming...), MOB equipment (life belt, swinning line, light-buoy), first aid-seat - the list is long :blush:

Here is my list from the boat - sorry it's in German - I don't know if the translation button already works...:

http://www.maretech.de/mssilviaii/14-silvi...ng-an-bord.html

The driving cost was one of the important things. I can live with a displacement boat-speed of 7-8kn. The good side - only 2 Ltr./h diesel needed - that's it.....

Just stay online and keep in touch....

I send you a reminder with contact data via PM before I come to Norway.

Best regards,

Mario

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi atomichaggis

The boat looked similar to the 22 at finn.no - but it had a bit bigger wheelhouse. I like the style of these boats...

"Hot" weather is a horror for me, too. Last year my wife wanted to go to Slovenia - every day 35°C and more - it was no holiday at all...

I have some good places for the Boknafjord - of course :D

There are some good hot spots mentioned by friends and people out of the "norwegen-angelforum". I have also contact to a German guy, living in Stavanger. He is currently talking to some commercial fishers and will report some good places next week. My target is to catch some ling and lumb - on natural baits. But I also want to fish on cod, pollak and col. Fishing and boating is 50:50 - so I will have fun even without fish :)

Hmm - safety equipment?

Fire extinguisher, drift anchor, manual horn (if fog is comming...), MOB equipment (life belt, swinning line, light-buoy), first aid-seat - the list is long :lol:

Here is my list from the boat - sorry it's in German - I don't know if the translation button already works...:

http://www.maretech.de/mssilviaii/14-silvi...ng-an-bord.html

The driving cost was one of the important things. I can live with a displacement boat-speed of 7-8kn. The good side - only 2 Ltr./h diesel needed - that's it.....

Just stay online and keep in touch....

I send you a reminder with contact data via PM before I come to Norway.

Best regards,

Mario

Those Sjarks look the part... proper fishing boats.

I don't think my boat has space for all that safety equipment!

How does one use a drag anchor in an emergency scenario? I've only ever known them to be used to fish a drift contra to the wind or to slow a fast drift.

I currently have 2 grapnel anchors, should I get another type?

I'm not so lucky with my boats fuel consumption vs speed... it's not fast and it's not economical either :D It's only rated for 25KW so I can only go up to a 35HP motor... doubt thats enough to push it over 25 knots.

I wonder if I get the transom reinforced whether it would be ok to mount a bigger motor than 35hp? I've heard of people doing that with some boats but I reckon it would cause stress fractures somewhere else on the hull.

Had a look at your site, do you work in boatbuilding or composites?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider