Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Sale of fish

I've wondered for a long time about this. As I understand... You can sell a limited amount of fish as a recreational fisherman and this fish can only be sold via a fishermen's sales organisation? How does that work exactly?

Is it possible to set up a small time operation selling fish without being a full timer with an allocated quota?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wow, you got me on that one. Never tried selling fish privately, but when we took club trips to match fish in northern Norway we hired boats from comercial fishermen and the catch was sold, the boat owners taking the proceeds to reduce the ammount we had to pay for the charter. The wholesale value of the fish was very dependant on the quality of the meat, of course. Any fish that were not cut across the throat and left to bleed to death were disqualified from the competition and deemed not fit for sale. Sounds barbaric to an Englishman, but that's how it is here. I guess similar factors would apply to private sale, if such is allowed?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yeah, any fish sold through the usual channels would be subject to the usual market criteria in terms of quality and subject to demand so a typical recreational catch would no doubt be worth buttons at market.

I think the law is structured so as to discourage sale of recreational fishing catches but it would be nice if to flog a few fish locally... and legally.

Its definately legal here via the sales organisation but the process isn't well documented. I doubt there are many people doing it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wish I caught enough fish that it would be worth considering :lol: . Kinda retired from competition fishing in 2001 after watching peeps kicking mackerel back and forth "that's your fish", "no it's not - it's yours". Gave up when I realised that there really is no point working your nuts off for 5 hours, getting 3rd place and looking at 200kg mackerel and wondering what the hell you're gonna do with it. Started "recreational" fishing again just this spring. Can remember most of it, but things have changed so much. Last wreck trip out of weymouth, storm lures out fished fresh bait 5-1 :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I doubt any of us catch enough to make a living out of our recreational efforts. I'm just thinking along the lines of a few kilos of cod for petrol money on a weekend and to generally offset the cost of fishing gear and running a boat etc.

I know there is demand locally for fresh fish and shellfish as people have asked me but the whole going to market thing would make it into a half hearted commercial effort.

I've never been into match fishing for the same reasons... all a bit wasteful. Can't beat beat lazy recreational fishing :lol:

You living in the UK or Norway?

I guess those fish on the shambles bank are all clued up about the 'free lunches' being dangled over the gunwhales now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lived in Norway for the last 10 years now, and have to admit, I love it. Where else can you get cod, pollock, coalies, turbot, plaice and especially a ton of mackerel on a fly rod? Fishing now means a nice cosy boat, smooth sea, a cold beer in one hand and fishing rod in your lap. Gonna get my little brother over for the summer and get me up to speed on beach fishing competitions again and maybe start looking around for a little weekend competition? Not gonna start match fishing deep sea again, finished with that now, but I think a little friendly beach competition might be right up my street?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider