Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

GPS antenna

I've been looking at various GPS, sounders, plotters and assorted electronic gizmos etc. with a view to adding some to my boat but I'm unsure whether an internal or external antenna woud be best.

Boat is a rana 17 with a 2 part awning (Kalesje). The front part is always up so the console is always covered... Is this a case for an external antenna?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have no problems with my portable gps under the awning, when turning it on I normally hold it outside (get quicker fix that way). When it gets positioned I put it inside. Might be hard to do with a fixed plotter, but should not cause any problems. Would go for an external antenna just to be sure, then you can keep it when you upgrade the boat :blush:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is no doubt internal antennas work but does it work as well as an external tho? Does it often spend a while searching for satellites?

Is there much difference between manufacturers?... maybe navman make better internal antennas than others.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is a large difference in sensitivity between different GPS models. I'm not sure if certain brands are better than others, but I've seen large difference between models.

Internal antenna is a good solution for a compleatly open boat, already starting from a boat with windshield I would have gone for external antenna.

Don't just check for GPS fix when comparing antenna placement, to get detailed information check the GPS status screen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

All maps at the Norwegian marked (Garmin, Navionics and C-Map) are all based on the same measurements done by Statens Kartverk, so the quality should be the same. The maps look a bit different between the three vendors. I'm very happy with Navionics. I have a Raymarine with Navioncs Platinum and a Lowrance with Navioncs Gold.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider