Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Boat requirements in Norway

Hello :)

I am looking into buying a small boat and i wanted to know a few things before i take the plunge.

License: i dont need one as i was born before 1980 right ?

Insurance : Do i need insurance on a small boat ?

Mooring costs? I want to fish around the Asker area and down towards Drøbak what am i looking at for prices on a small boat say under 14foot ? Rowing boat size with an outboard.

Is there anything else i need to know or do ?

Also where is the best place to buy a cheap little run around boat ?

Ive looked on Finn so far .

I appreciate any help you guys can give :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Welcome to the forum. :)

License: yes, you need a license if your boat is big enough/ fast enough. The 14` boat you are looking at will require you to have a license if it`s fast enough to go on plane. (10 knots)

Insurance: "Need".... No, you do not have to have insurance.

Registration: Like the license, registration of the boat has to do with the size of the boat. I recommend SecureMark, this will usually also give you a slightly less expensive insurance against theft. Your trailer has to be registered if you intend to drive it faster then 30 km/h.

Costs: You can buy a spot in one of the marinas for around 100.000,- NOK and upwards. A yearly fee for maintenance etc is to be expected. Or you can rent a spot, prices vary a lot but if you intend to use it year-round 700,- a month and upwards to 3000,- is not unusual. Keep an eye on Finn.no or the poster-boards at the marinas for rental, or check their websites.

The rest: You need a place to keep your trailer. :)

Finn.no or one of many Facebook-pages are good spots to look for used boats.

Endret av erik
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

License: yes, you need a license if your boat is big enough/ fast enough. The 14` boat you are looking at will require you to have a license if it`s fast enough to go on plane. (10 knots)

Insurance: "Need".... No, you do not have to have insurance.

Registration: Like the license, registration of the boat has to do with the size of the boat. I recommend SecureMark, this will usually also give you a slightly less expensive insurance against theft. Your trailer has to be registered if you intend to drive it faster then 30 km/h.

Costs: You can buy a spot in one of the marinas for around 100.000,- NOK and upwards. A yearly fee for maintenance etc is to be expected. Or you can rent a spot, prices vary a lot but if you intend to use it year-round 700,- a month and upwards to 3000,- is not unusual. Keep an eye on Finn.no or the poster-boards at the marinas for rental, or check their websites.

The rest: You need a place to keep your trailer. :)

Finn.no or one of many Facebook-pages are good spots to look for used boats.

Ok so i need a boat licence and trailer registration and the securemark is optional?

Thanks for your help by the way .

What about this little thing ?

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/object?folderId=5394874&finnkode=65125598

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is correct.

Thanks you,i just came across this article.

http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Ny-i-Norge-velg-sprak/New-in-Norway/Recreational-activities/Fishing1/Good-advice-for-boat-driver/

"If you were born after 1 January 1980, you must have a certificate of boatmanship in order to drive a pleasure craft of more than eight metres in length or with an engine bigger than 25 horsepower. The driver of a pleasure craft that can go faster than ten knots or that has an engine bigger than ten hp must be over 16 years of age. "

So if i were to buy a boat like the one i linked i wouldnt need a boat licence, it would just have to register the trailer?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No those requirements are for people born after 1. januar 1980 The orginal poster state that he is born before 1980 so a license is not mandatory. But it does not hurt anybody to take this licence. Also remember that Norwegian weather and sea conditions can be very capricious and change quite quickly, just saying.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, you need a boatlicence, known as "Båtførerprøven" in Norwegian if you are born after 1. january 1980. The funny thing is that if you (as a foreigner) brought a boat with you from outside Norway, you do not need a license...

I would recommend registration on your trailer if you intend to use it on public roads. 30 km/h is not fast, and Norway is not a small place either. ;) Insurance on cars, may (or may not) have some small print about driving around with un-registered trailers as well so check the insurance on your car if you intend to drive on public roads.

Yes, Securmark is optional but registering a boat with more then 5HP is not optional. Securmark or Redningsselskapet are your two choices.

http://www.securmark.no/index.php?art=5993

https://www.nssr.no/sbr/

Endret av erik
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ok so the only thing i have to do is register the boat and trailer or do i not have to do that ether because the boats under a certain size ?

I dont know if you can use a unregistrered trailer behind a car even if you drive slowly. These trailers are normaly not used on roads at all.

There a not any official registration on small boats in Norway and you only need to consider it if you want an innsurance.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Indeed it does. :)

The trailer is most likely registered already, but needs to be re-registered in your name. If it does not have plates, then thread carefully, it might not meet the requirements for registration.

Great advice,i am now waiting to here back from a couple of people regarding which small boat i will buy but i am in no rush.

I will post on here what boat i eventually end up with and again thank you for the help :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi

You will probably have to both register the boat in one of the registers mentioned, and have a insurance on the boat to get a place in a harbour. Most harbours require this. But it is not very expensive, rggistry fee is somewhere between 100 and 200 kr, and insurance for damage on other boats and theft from around 500 and up, depending on the value of the boat

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi

You will probably have to both register the boat in one of the registers mentioned, and have a insurance on the boat to get a place in a harbour. Most harbours require this. But it is not very expensive, rggistry fee is somewhere between 100 and 200 kr, and insurance for damage on other boats and theft from around 500 and up, depending on the value of the boat

Yeah thanks ,i think ive got the basics of what i need to do now,not having any luck looking for a boat though ,i did see this yesterday

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/object?folderId=5394874&finnkode=64095669

but i am not sure,the owner says it has small hole in it :(

Could i repair the hole with this stuff ?http://www.clasohlson.com/no/Epoxysparkel,-Plastic-Padding-Marine/34-1995

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would not recommend trying a "quick fix" like that on something You are not shure on how. (How deep it goes, damage around the whole etc.)

Doing it the right way is not that hard or difficult, it will cost You a few hours and a few hundred NOK with materials from Biltema. I have a few photos on how to do it, and can write up something here if You want, but Google will bring You a Long way as well. :)

Short version: You should grind it down so You remove al the damaged glasfiber and gelcoat. Then aply new glasfiber and top it of with gelcoatpaint.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would not recommend trying a "quick fix" like that on something You are not shure on how. (How deep it goes, damage around the whole etc.)

Doing it the right way is not that hard or difficult, it will cost You a few hours and a few hundred NOK with materials from Biltema. I have a few photos on how to do it, and can write up something here if You want, but Google will bring You a Long way as well. :)

Short version: You should grind it down so You remove al the damaged glasfiber and gelcoat. Then aply new glasfiber and top it of with gelcoatpaint.

That would be great if you could .

I will try and tie up the deal with the owner and see what he says and let you know.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Glass fibers is hygroscopic, so it will readily taking up and retaining moisture then exposed to water. This will cause the damaged area to be weak and britlle. The area damaged may be larger than what is visible. It is kind of rust on a car. Everything that is damaged has to go. If not it will only spread like rot. If the gelcoat is cracked on both inside and outside. You have a hole in your boat

What you need is a biberglass boat repair kit. That contain glass fibre mat, and epoxy resin with hardner and maybe some sort of filler. Use gelcoat as a finishing touch afterwards only. The job itself is doable. But take your time and work slow. Showing great attention to detail and be very careful and precise. It is very important to work on clean surfaces. Any kind of grease and fat is poison in such repairs. Then hardner is mixed into the epoxy. It will cure VERY fast. Do not mix more than you will be useing in say 15 minutes top

Here is link detailing the repair process

http://www.westsysteminternational.com/images/Glass_fibre_boat_repair_kit_instructions.pdf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The photos are from when i mounted something on my boat that ment I had to reinforce the fiberglass hull. But the principle is the same.

First, grind down the damaged area. Make sure all damaged material is removed, and that there are no hard/ sharp edges left. You can not lay fiberglass around or in sharp corners, everything has to be smooth.

What I used for the grinding, with my electric drill.

blogger-image--1965514684.jpg

Since I was mounting something that needed three bolts, I made three holes through the hull. You should offcourse not make these holes, just grind down all damaged fiberglass and gelcoat. Grind away, at least 3-5 cm larger area then what was damaged so you make sure your new fiberglass attaches to undamaged fiberglass.

blogger-image--1970158522.jpg

After the grinding, clean CAREFULLY with acetone. It is VERY important that the whole area is cleaned throughly. If not, the binding-agent will not stick. Keep in mind that acetone is an "angry" chemical, so clean your hands with plenty of soap and water after using it....

Cut fiberglass so it fits over the area you grinded.

blogger-image-1726391388.jpg

If the area is deep, you need small pieces in the bottom, and larger pieces as you work your way up from the bottom of the hole. I used a total of 16-17 pieces of fiberglass to fill the hole I made.

Mix polyester and curing agent ("herder" in norwegian) according to the instructions on the box.

Use a (cheap) brush and aply a thin layer of the mixed polyester to the area, then put on one layer of fiberglass. Then another layer of mixed polyester, another layer of fiberglass and so on.

blogger-image-1448073022.jpg

DO NOT build more then around 5 mm in each round. To thick a layer of curing polyester develops heat, and can actually set your boat on fire... So no more then 6-7 layers of fiberglass in each round, when using 300g or 450g fiberglass. Leave to cure completely. If you need to build up more then this, the waiting until the first round is cured is something you just have to live with. :)

I used a lot of layers, so it took med a couple of days.

blogger-image--720378538.jpg

Your worst enemies are not using enought polymer to cover everything, and air between your layers. Press down with the brush and your fingers to get all the small airbubles out, and any left-over polymer. Hardened polymer is britle, it is the fiberglass that provides strenght and flexibility.

blogger-image--460548214.jpg

And finally, the hole was filled:

blogger-image--1151998233.jpg

Next step is more grinding, now to make the fiberglass and hardened polyester smooth.

blogger-image-250116130.jpg

You end up with one smooth patch.

blogger-image--971096697.jpg

With everything nice and smooth, you clean again with acetone. Then you need gelcoat.

The gelcoat also needs to be mixed with the same curing-agent, and aplied with a brush. Ending up like this:

blogger-image-1620287852.jpg

When you are done with the gelcoat, cover the area with plastic for the gelcoat to cure/ harden. It WILL NOT harden if it is not covered with plastic.

The next day you can remove the plastic, and you are done. (At least until the next time your boats needs a bit of patching up....)

Shoppinglist from Biltema.

Fiberglass - 36081 "Glassfiberremse" or one of the glasfibersheets they have.

Polyester - 36075

Hardener - 36077

Gelcoat - 36080

Acetone - could not find this on their website, but they do have it in ther chemicals-department

As mentioned, mixed polyester and curing-agent develops heat when curing. Remember this when desposing of leftovers, don`t just pour mixed polyester in a bin. I used a small hard-plastic cup for my mixing, and just for the hell of it left it with 3-4 cm of mix in it to see what happened. The mix started to boil, and melted the plastic cup.

Endret av erik
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Glass fibers is hygroscopic, so it will readily taking up and retaining moisture then exposed to water. This will cause the damaged area to be weak and britlle. The area damaged may be larger than what is visible. It is kind of rust on a car. Everything that is damaged has to go. If not it will only spread like rot. If the gelcoat is cracked on both inside and outside. You have a hole in your boat

What you need is a biberglass boat repair kit. That contain glass fibre mat, and epoxy resin with hardner and maybe some sort of filler. Use gelcoat as a finishing touch afterwards only. The job itself is doable. But take your time and work slow. Showing great attention to detail and be very careful and precise. It is very important to work on clean surfaces. Any kind of grease and fat is poison in such repairs. Then hardner is mixed into the epoxy. It will cure VERY fast. Do not mix more than you will be useing in say 15 minutes top

Here is link detailing the repair process

http://www.westsysteminternational.com/images/Glass_fibre_boat_repair_kit_instructions.pdf

Thanks for this :)

The photos are from when i mounted something on my boat that ment I had to reinforce the fiberglass hull. But the principle is the same.

First, grind down the damaged area. Make sure all damaged material is removed, and that there are no hard/ sharp edges left. You can not lay fiberglass around or in sharp corners, everything has to be smooth.

What I used for the grinding, with my electric drill.

blogger-image--1965514684.jpg

Since I was mounting something that needed three bolts, I made three holes through the hull. You should offcourse not make these holes, just grind down all damaged fiberglass and gelcoat. Grind away, at least 3-5 cm larger area then what was damaged so you make sure your new fiberglass attaches to undamaged fiberglass.

blogger-image--1970158522.jpg

After the grinding, clean CAREFULLY with acetone. It is VERY important that the whole area is cleaned throughly. If not, the binding-agent will not stick. Keep in mind that acetone is an "angry" chemical, so clean your hands with plenty of soap and water after using it....

Cut fiberglass so it fits over the area you grinded.

blogger-image-1726391388.jpg

If the area is deep, you need small pieces in the bottom, and larger pieces as you work your way up from the bottom of the hole. I used a total of 16-17 pieces of fiberglass to fill the hole I made.

Mix polyester and curing agent ("herder" in norwegian) according to the instructions on the box.

Use a (cheap) brush and aply a thin layer of the mixed polyester to the area, then put on one layer of fiberglass. Then another layer of mixed polyester, another layer of fiberglass and so on.

blogger-image-1448073022.jpg

DO NOT build more then around 5 mm in each round. To thick a layer of curing polyester develops heat, and can actually set your boat on fire... So no more then 6-7 layers of fiberglass in each round, when using 300g or 450g fiberglass. Leave to cure completely. If you need to build up more then this, the waiting until the first round is cured is something you just have to live with. :)

I used a lot of layers, so it took med a couple of days.

blogger-image--720378538.jpg

Your worst enemies are not using enought polymer to cover everything, and air between your layers. Press down with the brush and your fingers to get all the small airbubles out, and any left-over polymer. Hardened polymer is britle, it is the fiberglass that provides strenght and flexibility.

blogger-image--460548214.jpg

And finally, the hole was filled:

blogger-image--1151998233.jpg

Next step is more grinding, now to make the fiberglass and hardened polyester smooth.

blogger-image-250116130.jpg

You end up with one smooth patch.

blogger-image--971096697.jpg

With everything nice and smooth, you clean again with acetone. Then you need gelcoat.

The gelcoat also needs to be mixed with the same curing-agent, and aplied with a brush. Ending up like this:

blogger-image-1620287852.jpg

When you are done with the gelcoat, cover the area with plastic for the gelcoat to cure/ harden. It WILL NOT harden if it is not covered with plastic.

The next day you can remove the plastic, and you are done. (At least until the next time your boats needs a bit of patching up....)

Shoppinglist from Biltema.

Fiberglass - 36081 "Glassfiberremse" or one of the glasfibersheets they have.

Polyester - 36075

Hardener - 36077

Gelcoat - 36080

Acetone - could not find this on their website, but they do have it in ther chemicals-department

As mentioned, mixed polyester and curing-agent develops heat when curing. Remember this when desposing of leftovers, don`t just pour mixed polyester in a bin. I used a small hard-plastic cup for my mixing, and just for the hell of it left it with 3-4 cm of mix in it to see what happened. The mix started to boil, and melted the plastic cup.

Cool,it looks doable for me and thanks a ton for the taking the time to write all this up and you even included the part numbers which is a massive help.

I am still waiting to hear back from the owner but hopefully i will get it by the weekend.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

One other thing. Reading the add on finn.no. For the first that boat and probably the engine is quite old. Also from what I see, the engine may(not saying that it is) be somewhat neglected. Like the pulley cord is missing. Do not buy it without starting it in water no matter what the seller say. It should start easy and run good, look for bad pulley mechanism and problems with the water pump. Also ask about how the boat has been used (freshwater or salt water).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

One other thing. Reading the add on finn.no. For the first that boat and probably the engine is quite old. Also from what I see, the engine may(not saying that it is) be somewhat neglected. Like the pulley cord is missing. Do not buy it without starting it in water no matter what the seller say. It should start easy and run good, look for bad pulley mechanism and problems with the water pump. Also ask about how the boat has been used (freshwater or salt water).

It doesnt look to good so far,i have been in contact with the owner and the trailer is the cheap biltema one so its not road worthy :(

I think i will give this one a miss.

The hunt continues :shiftyninja:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Are these plastic boats any good ?

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/object?folderId=5394874&finnkode=62893304

I also like this but i think it might be a little bit to big for me ?

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/viewimage?finnkode=64777267

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Both Pioneer and Askeladden are classics. But if that Pioneer has been stored in the sun, the plastic (these are not fiberglass) looses its flexibility and it becomes britle if its really old. Try pressing it, it should feel "softish". You can not repair this the same way as with fiberglass, it can be done but it`s a very different process.

Askeladden 16`to big? That depends more on you then the boat. :) Having a roof to crawl under can be quite nice here in Norway. :D

Endret av erik
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider