Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Fly rod advice

Jonathan

Hi all,

I apologise that this is written in english - "min norsk er ikke så bra!"

I am soon going to buy a new fly rod for fishing the rivers and lakes in and around Oslo, I was thinking about purchasing a 7ft6 #3/4 - is this a good option?

I was thinking about purchasing a Greys GRXi, any other ideas?

Tusen takk

Jonathan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi all,

I apologise that this is written in english - "min norsk er ikke så bra!"

I am soon going to buy a new fly rod for fishing the rivers and lakes in and around Oslo, I was thinking about purchasing a 7ft6 #3/4 - is this a good option?

I was thinking about purchasing a Greys GRXi, any other ideas?

Tusen takk

Jonathan

Sounds like an excellent choice ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi John,

I'm myself english, and am lucky enough to live in the fantastic fishing heaven!

Personally I'd recommend a 9ft #4 upto a #6 for the lakes and the rod you've described for the smaller rivers and windless days on the smaller lakes.

My most used rod is a 8'6" #3. I use this everywhere, and a half a pound trout feels like a monster!

The GRXi is a great rod by all accounts, so that'll be a safe buy.

Good luck, Ryan.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice! :P

I finally decided upon a Greys GRXi 8'6" #4/5 - Hopefully this will be a good rod for both the rivers and small lakes around Oslo.

Tusen takk

Jonathan ;)

Nice :) I just brought a greys rod back from the UK and when I registered the product for warranty I had to use a UK address... do You get the lifetime warranty when you buy in Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Nice :P I just brought a greys rod back from the UK and when I registered the product for warranty I had to use a UK address... do You get the lifetime warranty when you buy in Norway?

I'm buying it from the UK and having it delivered to my parents address, then my parents are going to post it to me in Norway as a "gift" if you know what I mean! ;)

Can you buy Greys rods in Norway, I haven't seen them in/around the Oslo area?

I'm going to register everything to the UK at my parents address to ensure that the warrantly still applies.

If I manage to break the rod i'll just post it back and have my parents do all the warranty legwork in the UK and then post the new rod out to me again! :)

What Greys rod did you buy?

I got quite a good deal on a Greys outfit £169.99 for a GRXi 8'6" #4/5 with the matching new Greys GRXi reel and reel bag, 3 spare spools all fitted with backing line and braided butts and 3 fly lines, floating, intermediate and sinking! And of course the Greys lifetime warranty which is always a bonus! :D

Think this will be a great little outfit for the rivers and small lakes in/around Oslo! ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think it was last thursday that MXsport was doing a one day only deal on grey's packages... possibly some hardy stuff too. I just glanced over the ad in the newspaper as I was going to the UK. think it was just the G series tho which was probably still cheaper in the UK but not bad for Norwegian prices.

I got Me a bass rod... 7' baitcaster. haven't bought a greys flyrod yet.

My uncle is considering buying one for Scottish loch fishing (wild browns) so Be sure to let us know how You get on with the GRXi.

p.s. Where did You buy Your outfit?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think it was last thursday that MXsport was doing a one day only deal on grey's packages... possibly some hardy stuff too. I just glanced over the ad in the newspaper as I was going to the UK. think it was just the G series tho which was probably still cheaper in the UK but not bad for Norwegian prices.

I got Me a bass rod... 7' baitcaster. haven't bought a greys flyrod yet.

My uncle is considering buying one for Scottish loch fishing (wild browns) so Be sure to let us know how You get on with the GRXi.

p.s. Where did You buy Your outfit?

Yeah, there's a alot of good GRX offers at the moment but I thought I would go for the newer GRXi version, plus it's had some good reviews and I've heard a lot of good comments about the rods!

I'll let you know how I get on, I should have it by next week so i'll be itching to get out and try it!

I got my outfit from fmtc.co.uk

I've ordered from them before and i've had no problems! You also have the option to upgrade the package, if you want the GTX reel for example or if you want more expensive lines, I opted for the £15 upgrade for Greys GRXi lines instead of the normal GRX lines that come with the £169 outfit! I usually fish with Snowbee XS lines but they weren't in the offer.

J

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thats a pretty good site. My uncle will probably buy from glasgow angling centre... they have a strange bundle on the same rod...

Any GRXi or Greyflex MKII Rod

Scierra IC3 Fly Reel

3x Spare Spools

Scierra padded Multi-reel Bag

2x Scierra Fly Lines

2x Spools of Hollow Braided Backing

Pin on Zinger with snips

New for 2006 Fly box

Scierra Casting DVD

* Smaller Line Sizes (up to #5) come with Orivs Rocky Mountain Reel and Two Scientific Anglers Lines (floatng and double taper)

the SA lines sound good tho.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thats a pretty good site. My uncle will probably buy from glasgow angling centre... they have a strange bundle on the same rod...

Any GRXi or Greyflex MKII Rod

Scierra IC3 Fly Reel

3x Spare Spools

Scierra padded Multi-reel Bag

2x Scierra Fly Lines

2x Spools of Hollow Braided Backing

Pin on Zinger with snips

New for 2006 Fly box

Scierra Casting DVD

* Smaller Line Sizes (up to #5) come with Orivs Rocky Mountain Reel and Two Scientific Anglers Lines (floatng and double taper)

the SA lines sound good tho.

Yeah it's a pretty good site!

I looked at the outfit you mentioned last week but preferred the GRXi reel and plus it came with an extra fly line! I'm not too bothered about the zinger, fly box and the DVD!

As for the SA flylines, i've never tried them but i've heard mixed reviews, however the Snowbee XS always seems to get great reviews! Follow the crowd and all that!!!

J

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yeah it's a pretty good site!

I looked at the outfit you mentioned last week but preferred the GRXi reel and plus it came with an extra fly line! I'm not too bothered about the zinger, fly box and the DVD!

As for the SA flylines, i've never tried them but i've heard mixed reviews, however the Snowbee XS always seems to get great reviews! Follow the crowd and all that!!!

J

Glasgow angling centre can be a bit dodgy, They bundle things to get rid of stock that won't move. I'm guessing they have a pile of those DVDs or something they can't shift :D they take their time sending stuff out too cos of high demand apparently. it's local for My uncle tho and It is a great big store... one of the best attractions in Glasgow, far better than any museum.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well you made a great buy with that rod Johnathan, you will not be dissappointed. As for fly lines, the Snowbee XS is best of all. Otherwise any other fly line made by Shakespeare are always a safe buy......e.g. Shakespeare Worcestershire, Greys Platinum, Barrio, and various others. I buy mine at a very cheap price through Pitsford Pirate on www.flyforums.co.uk

I personally most stuff in either the UK or US, and save loads. Very rarely have to pay tax either.

As regards Glasgow angling centre; STAY CLEAR. They have many bad rapports on UK's biggest fly fishing forum, and are generally considered as having bad service. Sportfish is very good as is John Norris, Tightlines, etc. Though you can't beat Ebay.

Hope this helps, Ryan.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Otherwise any other fly line made by Shakespeare are always a safe buy......e.g. Shakespeare Worcestershire, Greys Platinum, Barrio, and various others.

Damnit! I meant to pick up a shakespeare glider when I went back.

P.S. I've never had trouble with any of My (several) orders from glasgow angling centre... tho I've never been in a hurry. They are understaffed and take about 7-10 days to process each order... not so good if there is a problem with products either.

but definately only worth it if You know the product well and can't find it elsewhere.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider