Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Eikelandsosen (Bergen)

Hi,

I am visiting Eikerlandsosen in July, and am wondering if there any any people here who know the area?

There will be a group of us on a big family holiday from young children to grand-parents, many of us will be fishing a while, but we are holiday fishermen/women, so are doing it for fun, rather than sport, and our knowledge is not good/rusty.

I was wondering if anyone here, knew the area, and could help advise what equipment would be appropriate.

If so, for a start, I understand that we will stay right between the sea shore and Bjornefjord. Does anyone know what the shore is like here, beach, rocks, jetty, deep, shallow? I think what we wan't to do most is catch something that we can have for dinner, cod, haddock, mackeral (sea trout would be great but now I'm dreaming! :lol: )

I have many other questions, but lets see if anyone can help first.

Magne tak!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Genie,

one very relevant question here is: how far are you willing to travel from your base? do you have acess to a car or do you have to rely on public transport?

I'm not very familiar with this area, but i've been fishing sea-trout in the Os-area (across Bjørnefjorden from where you are staying) and i've caught cod, mackerel and ling further into Bjørnefjorden.

If you're all beginners/holidayfishers and all need equipment, i'd recommend buying some of the more reasonably priced sets of rod/reel/line that are available in most sporting-goods stores in Bergen. most of these stores have people who will be able to point you to the most commonly used lures for coastline fishing as well.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Genie,

one very relevant question here is: how far are you willing to travel from your base? do you have acess to a car or do you have to rely on public transport?

I'm not very familiar with this area, but i've been fishing sea-trout in the Os-area (across Bjørnefjorden from where you are staying) and i've caught cod, mackerel and ling further into Bjørnefjorden.

If you're all beginners/holidayfishers and all need equipment, i'd recommend buying some of the more reasonably priced sets of rod/reel/line that are available in most sporting-goods stores in Bergen. most of these stores have people who will be able to point you to the most commonly used lures for coastline fishing as well.

We will have access to a couple of cars, so we can travel without too much trouble. We're not going to drive serious distances, but if there are especially good marks, that would say make a half-day or perhaps full-day trip, then that would be interesting. The rest of the time I expect say half an hours drive will be the limit.

Cod and Mackerel would be great, as long as we catch something to put on the grill :)

Between us we have a variety of equipment. For example I have three rods (small trout rod, long heavier spinning rod, and a heavy boat-type rod). But I need to get a reel. Before I get one, I need to have an idea of line test/length that is appropriate, so thoughts on that are most welcome.

Do I take it that you suggest spinning with lures for cod/mackerel in this locality?

Many thanks!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

i'll answer the last question first:

spinning with lures, jigs and spinners is by far the most common fishing method for most people in this region (as, i believe, most of norway). this is probably for a variety of reasons: my own preference for it has alot to do with my lack of patience: when fishing with lures and jigs, there's always something happening and i can keep actively hunting the fish.

also, i believe it is a very versatile way of fishing: you can catch most types of fish in most types of places with a few herring-like lures of the right size. (Stingsilda, jensen sild, jensen pirken and møresilda are the most common ones in my experience) fishing fast and high will target mackerel and coalfish, while aiming lower in the water and going slower will often result in cod.

my recommendation would be to take a trip across the fjord to Os, where you have a very good opportunity for seatrout by the coastline near the mouth of the river. inland fishing for salmon and trout along the rivers is also an opportunity.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

i'll answer the last question first:

spinning with lures, jigs and spinners is by far the most common fishing method for most people in this region (as, i believe, most of norway). this is probably for a variety of reasons: my own preference for it has alot to do with my lack of patience: when fishing with lures and jigs, there's always something happening and i can keep actively hunting the fish.

also, i believe it is a very versatile way of fishing: you can catch most types of fish in most types of places with a few herring-like lures of the right size. (Stingsilda, jensen sild, jensen pirken and møresilda are the most common ones in my experience) fishing fast and high will target mackerel and coalfish, while aiming lower in the water and going slower will often result in cod.

my recommendation would be to take a trip across the fjord to Os, where you have a very good opportunity for seatrout by the coastline near the mouth of the river. inland fishing for salmon and trout along the rivers is also an opportunity.

Thank you for that, most useful! I've been looking into various options for putting rigs on the bottom to try and catch larger stuff (Karl Inge refered someone else with a similar question here, https://www.fiskersiden.no/forum/index.php?...topic=4957&st=0, which has some good info on set-up, though as a non-native it is hard to understand the discussion around the various pictures).

At the end of the day, I think we are going to have to try and keep it simple, or we'll risk using more time fiddling with setting up rigs, than having it in the water. So I'll probably stick with lures/pirks, and if we have too many mackerel, perhaps a slice of that (a flapper?) on a jighead and a chunk of lead cast somewhere deeper. (I recall last time I fished in Norway, many years ago, the mackerel were suicidal. On more than one occasion I had a bare hook (no beads, nothing) in the water while preparing bait, and hooked them!).

Turning to freshwater...

There is a lake behind Eikelandsosen which apparently has a good amount of trout in it. Can anyone suggest a simple and effective set-up for targeting these (my dad is more of a float/bait (worms) kind of guy... I tend towards spinning).

p.s. The tip re: Os is good, I can see us making a day-trip over there :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider