Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Seatrout fishing in the Stavanger region

maciek_z

Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting on here in English, but I don't speak Norwegian (for the time being).

I'm living in the Stavanger for approx. one year already. As far as I remember I'm really addicted to fishing...as probably most of you guys.

Recently I talked to a friend of mine who is living in the Oslo area and he told me lot of stories of exciting seatrout fishing out there. He told me that it is more or les possible to fish (or flyfish) for seatrout all along the coast of Western Norway but of course he was not able to be more specific on the good spots in the Stavanger area.

I tried to do some internet research on my own first and found some interesting pages like (in english):

http://www.flyshop.no/guide/saltwat/bginfo/seatrout.htm

http://www.ffinfo.nl/en/fly-fishing/coasta...hing-in-norway/

but I havent found any specific information about this region.

Even though the weather recently is quite nasty I was out fishing (with my fly rod and selection of flies that I prepared for this purpose) during two last weekends - but without any success. I was fishing at Hundvag (northern side of the island) and Hafrsfjorden (on the same side of the fjord as Tananger).

Now I'm begining to be desperate (many hours of flycasting without any contact with the fish), so I decided to ask you guys for help! Maybe some of you are familiar with seatrout (or any other species) coastal flyfishing in this region and are willing to help me? I would really apreciate it, beacuse there are so many potentialy good spots here that it will take ages for me to find the right one...

Thanks in advance!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would also recommend to try further in the fjords, especially when the weather is too rough to be at the beaches. All the rivers, small or big, are sea-trout rivers, and fish can be found along beaches in the neighbourhood of those. Beware that it is illegal to fish too close to the river.

In general, the eating quality of the fish gets better the further away from the river you catch it, so the beaches are the best bet in that respect.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

Here are my response.

Actually you are fishing at wrong places (Hundvåg and Hafrsfjord). THese two places are not connected to any freshwater or rivers or waterfalls pluss they are too shallow. These places are not good even for other type of fishes. You can only catch makrell and sei (coal fish) from this locations only in summer time.

The best places to catch seatrout in this winter seasons are inside fjord areas. The whole rogaland province is full of fjords. I have been to only those fjords which are closer to stavanger area and are connected with road (no ferry needed). I have been to these fjord areas my self and had caught many big fishes of cod (torsk), sei (coal fish), makrell and sea trout in this winter seasons.

It is correct about Norway

The Norwegian coast can be divided in 3 types of shores. At first the most familiar are the fjords with their very deep entries, reaching for more than a few hundred kilometres in country. The Sognefjord with a length of 200km and a depth of more than 1,300mtr is by far the biggest fjord in Norway. And it is just one of the many fjords…!

Second the southern part of Norway is known of its skerry coast. This type has been named because it has got thousands of islands and a relative shallow water.

At third there is the west coast of Norway as the border to the Atlantic and a specific coastal area with its tidal currents, depths and various landscapes.

These 3 different types of areas along the coast make it very attractive for flyfishing.

But allways remember the facts. If you don't have boats than you can only do fishing from land. Here comes the most difficult part/task. Because from land you can only catch fish (even in good seasons) if you are at right locations (with respect to the sea water depth). Most of the cost/beach/standing places; where you can stand and doing fishing; are not good enough because you can never reach appropriate water depth from these locations. Pluss the water temperature is always so cold that you can go inside the water (except in in summer time). Therefore the ideal way of doing fishing is to use small boats (inflatable boats or small boats). If you don't have boat then you have work hard and spend more times in fishing.

It is my observations that as far you can go from a city as much you can catch fishes. Areas near cities are usually have less fishes propably due to industrial pollutions or noise or other kind of distribuances. In gandfjord you can easily catch a dozens of makrell within one hours at summer time (good season time) but you can't catch any makrell in november. Can you believe that i catch a makrell from Dirdal on 20th November 2008??? A big makrell. ALmost 1 kg. THerefore the chances of getting fishes are higher when you go to remote areas or away from industrial areas.

Frafjord, Dirdal, Høgsfjord, Lysefjord are some good fjord areas near stavanger. Beside these there are several other fjord areas in Ryfylke and Haugaland districts of Rogaland province. Just look at the road maps.

Good places of fishing in Rogaland area are:

Fjord Areas:

Frafjord

Dirdal

Høgsfjord

Idsefjord (Nær Tau and Jorpeland)

Lysefjord

Boknafjord near Aksdal

Many other fjords in Ryflyke and Haugaland (Haugesund area).

Beache areas:

Sele

Sola

Ølberg

Bore

The whole coastal area from Sola to Egersund have good potential

Skerry coast areas:

Hundvåg

Åmøy

Rennesøy

Finnøy

Kvitsøy

Rylfykeøyene

:):):)

:D:D:D

:lol::D:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First of all I would like to thank all of you very much for your answers!!! I really appreciate that you are being so helpful. This is prety challenging for me to find the right spot on my own.

Next weekend I will most probably try the Jæren beaches if the sea is not to rough. I'm aiming at the area called ølbør hamn. Maybe some of you can comment if it is a right spot. If it will be really bad I'm aiming for a place of small river outlet near Høle or Dirdal. I will keep you posted how it went and if I was succesfull at all :hailfs:

Maybe you have some hints for the fishing tactics at these places (especially ølbør hamn at Jæren beaches) and how to pick the right spot (should I look for the shallow water or on the contrary). I would also apreciate all of the advice on the bait. For the time being I tyied few of the typical saltwater flyies like clouser deep minnow (http://www.flyshop.no/flysel/barry/seapatterns/cdm.htm), Istobis (http://www.flyshop.no/flysel/asgeira/asgeirs.htm), crystal hair shrimp (http://www.flyshop.no/flysel/barry/seapatterns/cryst.htm), and others (http://www.fluefiske.net/artikler/fluebinding/509-teppesild-til-sjoorreten).

To pick a spot I'm using two pages: http://kart.fmro.no/arealis42/index.jsp and http://www.1881.no

Once again - I will be really gratefull if you can help me with these issues.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

as promised an update on the fishing results. For the time being...still nothing. :)

I was fishing on Staurday along the ølbør beach. Unfortunately without any contact with the fish. I was standing in the water around 5-10 meters from the shore, reaching approx 20 meters wih the sinking fly-line. As a bait I was using Clouser Minnow (chartreuse with white + crystal flash) and Istobis (blue+white with crystal flash).

But still I'm not loosing my hope :D

tight lines!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

as promised an update on the fishing results. For the time being...still nothing. :D

I was fishing on Staurday along the ølbør beach. Unfortunately without any contact with the fish. I was standing in the water around 5-10 meters from the shore, reaching approx 20 meters wih the sinking fly-line. As a bait I was using Clouser Minnow (chartreuse with white + crystal flash) and Istobis (blue+white with crystal flash).

But still I'm not loosing my hope :)

tight lines!

it was very bad weather on saturday. no one get any fish on saturday. on sunday we went to forsand on deep water kai area for fishing. we got nothing. it was too much wind. we went to ims also where we were informed that it is illegal to do fishing here (protection zone for sea trout area).

next time you can go to høle area or area near to ims town (not in ims towon) for sea trout fishing.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 14 years later...
On 2/17/2009 at 1:23 PM, shikam said:

Hi,

Here are my response.

Actually you are fishing at wrong places (Hundvåg and Hafrsfjord). THese two places are not connected to any freshwater or rivers or waterfalls pluss they are too shallow. These places are not good even for other type of fishes. You can only catch makrell and sei (coal fish) from this locations only in summer time.

The best places to catch seatrout in this winter seasons are inside fjord areas. The whole rogaland province is full of fjords. I have been to only those fjords which are closer to stavanger area and are connected with road (no ferry needed). I have been to these fjord areas my self and had caught many big fishes of cod (torsk), sei (coal fish), makrell and sea trout in this winter seasons.

It is correct about Norway

The Norwegian coast can be divided in 3 types of shores. At first the most familiar are the fjords with their very deep entries, reaching for more than a few hundred kilometres in country. The Sognefjord with a length of 200km and a depth of more than 1,300mtr is by far the biggest fjord in Norway. And it is just one of the many fjords…!

Second the southern part of Norway is known of its skerry coast. This type has been named because it has got thousands of islands and a relative shallow water.

At third there is the west coast of Norway as the border to the Atlantic and a specific coastal area with its tidal currents, depths and various landscapes.

These 3 different types of areas along the coast make it very attractive for flyfishing.

But allways remember the facts. If you don't have boats than you can only do fishing from land. Here comes the most difficult part/task. Because from land you can only catch fish (even in good seasons) if you are at right locations (with respect to the sea water depth). Most of the cost/beach/standing places; where you can stand and doing fishing; are not good enough because you can never reach appropriate water depth from these locations. Pluss the water temperature is always so cold that you can go inside the water (except in in summer time). Therefore the ideal way of doing fishing is to use small boats (inflatable boats or small boats). If you don't have boat then you have work hard and spend more times in fishing.

It is my observations that as far you can go from a city as much you can catch fishes. Areas near cities are usually have less fishes propably due to industrial pollutions or noise or other kind of distribuances. In gandfjord you can easily catch a dozens of makrell within one hours at summer time (good season time) but you can't catch any makrell in november. Can you believe that i catch a makrell from Dirdal on 20th November 2008??? A big makrell. ALmost 1 kg. THerefore the chances of getting fishes are higher when you go to remote areas or away from industrial areas.

Frafjord, Dirdal, Høgsfjord, Lysefjord are some good fjord areas near stavanger. Beside these there are several other fjord areas in Ryfylke and Haugaland districts of Rogaland province. Just look at the road maps.

Good places of fishing in Rogaland area are:

Fjord Areas:

Frafjord

Dirdal

Høgsfjord

Idsefjord (Nær Tau and Jorpeland)

Lysefjord

Boknafjord near Aksdal

Many other fjords in Ryflyke and Haugaland (Haugesund area).

Beache areas:

Sele

Sola

Ølberg

Bore

The whole coastal area from Sola to Egersund have good potential

Skerry coast areas:

Hundvåg

Åmøy

Rennesøy

Finnøy

Kvitsøy

Rylfykeøyene

:):):)

:D:D:D

:lol::D:)

Hi, thank you for so much information regarding the fishing in Stavanger area. So, while I was searching for good fishing places  near Stavanger (because I live in Stavanger and I started to go for fishing since 4-5 months) I saw your message here. But I wanted to ask you regarding now, where is the best place where it have more fish amd is easy to travel and to fish from the coast (land) because I don't have a boat and I have to travel by bus because I domt have the car. Also I wanted to as you if I go for fishing in Dirdal is it a legal or not. And some eaces you mentioned that you catch sea trout, cod and some other fish could you please to send to me with the locations where can I fish if you can. Also, if you agre send me your Facebook account or any other way how I can contact you. Thank you one more time and I will be waiting for your response. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider