Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

Steinbit in Haugesund area

Hi all, does Anyone know any good places to catch Steinbit from the shore around the Haugesund area? and What time of Year are they within reach of the shore angler?

I usually fish in førlandsfjorden and the flekkasund bridge at kårstø and everywhere in between.. and the occasional trip to karmøy.

I've caught many fine fish here but I've never caught one of these handsome beasts :-) and it's becoming an obsession.

I've heard the Karmsund bridge is a good spot at certain times of the Year, so maybe I'll check that out.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Førdesfjorden is a good place for catfish, as is the inner parts of Etnefjorden.

The time to catch these ones from shore is spring, I`ll recommend from march and till june. It seems they gather at shallow water then, we have caught several nice fisg, weighing up till 7kg at shallow water at this time of year.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the tip! If they are coming in that close then surely they will be in førlandsfjorden too?

What kind of rig/baits are best? I've heard shrimp and sei fillets are good and metal spoons on lead to annoy them enough to bite... not sure how to rig it though.

I saw some Finnish tourists up North were using like a 'Flying C' with a large pear lead in front, but I've never seen Flying C's with big enough hooks for the job.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A cocktail of shrimps and mackerel has proven good for me, but sei :D is also god shit for catfish.

I dont know any good spots in Førlandsfjorden but cant see any reason why they should behave any differently there....

Both run-tackles (whats a good english word for that...) and paternoster works just fine.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

As soon as the water warms up I'll take a dive into førlandsfjorden from My usual spot at Padlane to check out the fish (and get My old gear back)... kinda cheating but I can't afford a fishfinder. It'll be interesting to see where they hold... If there are any there at all.

I think I'll try fishing at the neck of the fjord at mjåsund bridge too, its a nice spot but an incredible current when the tide turns.

If that fails then its off to the harbour ? I don't know etne at all tho... shall look on the map.

"Both run-tackles (whats a good english word for that...) and paternoster works just fine."

Running Ledger?

What size hooks do You use for them? would 6/O O' Shaughnessy be a good size/pattern?

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3-5/0 I`d say is big enough, with som good chance of other catches as well. We use both circle and regular hooks, depends on tackle and what you usually use-both work fine. I prefer regular J-hooks to catfish but I really havent caught that many.

Etne is about 55min drive towards Oslo.

Running ledger sounds about right :D

Keep us posted on Mjåsund, been thinking of trying for a while...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I fished Mjåsund from right under the bridge in the summer. You don't need a big rod cos I hit the other side with a 6 foot baitcaster and a 25 gram shad.

When we arrived the water was gushing into the fjord at an incredible rate of knots. 5oz pear leads would just about hold the bottom, 3oz pilks would bounce once then take 10 metres of line off. 3 of us lost about 4 or 5 pilks on the bottom in these conditions.

when the water went slack it was quite pleasant for light tackle. We only caught a few lyr and makrell and a big fat corkwing wrasse. then the water changed direction and we went home.

If you go prepared with some grip leads then You will catch all the big lunkers as the move in and out of the fjord.

I plan to take My flyrod next time as I heard trout hold in these bottlenecks and I caught 2 trout lately much further inland. one 2 weeks before christmas and one about a week after.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I fished Mjåsund from right under the bridge in the summer. You don't need a big rod cos I hit the other side with a 6 foot baitcaster and a 25 gram shad.

When we arrived the water was gushing into the fjord at an incredible rate of knots. 5oz pear leads would just about hold the bottom, 3oz pilks would bounce once then take 10 metres of line off. 3 of us lost about 4 or 5 pilks on the bottom in these conditions.

when the water went slack it was quite pleasant for light tackle. We only caught a few lyr and makrell and a big fat corkwing wrasse. then the water changed direction and we went home.

If you go prepared with some grip leads then You will catch all the big lunkers as the move in and out of the fjord.

I plan to take My flyrod next time as I heard trout hold in these bottlenecks and I caught 2 trout lately much further inland. one 2 weeks before christmas and one about a week after.

Davie

I've heard there's been caught catfish in the area around Mjåsund, but I think that was in springtime.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've heard there's been caught catfish in the area around Mjåsund, but I think that was in springtime.

I thought this would be a good place for them, I'll definately go prepared for steinbit in the springtime.

Davie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider