Gå til innhold
Fiskersiden

visiting Norway (sorry english)

calm_entity

I will be in Stavanger for may and june the weather is starting to get better.  I went fishing with a friend and he said mackerel and Sai(?) is common to catch from the shore, but we caught nothing, people are saying its too early.  Is there any legal place to fish in lakes near Stavanger/Sandnes area?  I do not have a boat or kaya.  I have a spinning rod, general purpose and any lures that can be bought at local stores.  Thanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Stavanger has pretty good fishing opportunities both in the sea and in freshwater, it's mostly just about knowing the right spots. There's a lot of apps which use satelite data and sonar scans to provide you with good fishing locations these days so you could try those.

Personally my favorite target species is Trout and Char and both can be caught in freshwater around the Stavanger area. You usually need a fishing permit to fish for them but those can be bought online at inatur. You just search for the location + fiskekort (which means fishing card). In May and early June you want to stay in the lowlands but late June the mountain fishing really picks up.

On the 1st of June the Salmon season is also starting and a lot of people really enjoy that.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

42 minutes ago, calm_entity said:

Thanks for responses.  Anyone know where is a good place for salmon?  And what gear to use?  

With Salmon there's always the risk of getting a 10 or even 20 kg fish on the line so you want some decent gear. This one would be a very good choice: https://www.sportfishtackle.no/no/artiklar/dam-nanoflex-pro-salmon-stick-bc.html?variant=75836

My personal salmon rod is this one: https://agdars.no/lawson-atlantic-salmon-s3-aramid-haspel-12-til-60g

But I think most people fish for Salmon with flies and flyrods. That's not necessarily because they're the most effective though.

I'm not very familiar with what rivers exist around Stavanger so I can't answer that. But just know the almost every major river will have Salmon in it and that the prices for fishing Salmon can range from cheap to obscene. So you want a good river that's also in your price range.

Endret av Gabriel
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Its a bit early for the mackerell although the end of may and all of june is good from shore. If you are staying until june you are good. It is still quite possible to catch now in mid-may if you are lucky. Try different depths until you find them. Mackerell are like crows, but stupid. Anything that shines and moves, they attack without thinking twice.

Sei is always there, near the docks along with lyr.

The most general lures and mackerell feathers(makrellhekle) will get you all these species. Dont expect any monster sized lyr or sei though.

If you are near city centre the docks at these locations are all popular and proven locations:

Bjergsted

58.9802711, 5.7190285

Børevigå

58.9745394, 5.7332063

Bryggerikaien

58.9696954, 5.7621843

Endret av FiskerStavanger
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tananger is just as great. I just listed those as they are just the more central and popular locations.

This location is great for all kinds of fishing. Just be careful of slipping/falling depending on conditions(waves, algea and rain).

58.9327477, 5.5715885

You could also bait fish here. But i would recommend a strong rod to throw past the rocky parts and cracks where you are easily stuck.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Den 21.5.2023 at 22.09, calm_entity skrev:

Coastal fishing seems a lot less trouble than the lake or salmon fishing.

As a saltwater fisher myself, i might be a bit biased when i say i agree. But then again, you are also on a peninsula.

Tell/show us if you catch anything! Big or small!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 weeks later...

caught at Hålandsvatnet, it's pretty big, longer than my chopping board (30cm).  Not really sure what I was doing, water looked quite shallow, and I was using very light spinner with mono rated for 40g, (this is the rod that I have been using for mackerel fishing).  I could only throw about 6 or 7 meters with this and because of the depth, I pulled in quickly.  So it was a lot of throwing.  is this the proper action for trout fishing with spinners? ( Obviously thinner line would be better.)

IMG-20230604-WA0000.jpg

Endret av calm_entity
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 hours ago, calm_entity said:

caught at Hålandsvatnet, it's pretty big, longer than my chopping board (30cm).  Not really sure what I was doing, water looked quite shallow, and I was using very light spinner with mono rated for 40g, (this is the rod that I have been using for mackerel fishing).  I could only throw about 6 or 7 meters with this and because of the depth, I pulled in quickly.  So it was a lot of throwing.  is this the proper action for trout fishing with spinners? ( Obviously thinner line would be better.)

IMG-20230604-WA0000.jpg

Looks like a good one.

The proper action for a spinner is when it pulls your rod tip slightly back.

Obviously you want to throw further and with a lighter rod. And most experienced trout fishermen in Norway use thin braid to get more distance.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 month later...

I will be coming back later this month to Tananger.  Where do you guys order your gear from?  Is it OK to ask this here?  I can't bring any large items with me, so I would like to order some stuff.  Where do you guys buy rods/reels/line etc.  My friend took me to a store at the mall last time but I couldn't find those mackerel lures, the daisy chain type last time I was here, I only saw the spinners I think the type with multiple hooks works a lot better for mackerel.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, calm_entity said:

I will be coming back later this month to Tananger.  Where do you guys order your gear from?  Is it OK to ask this here?  I can't bring any large items with me, so I would like to order some stuff.  Where do you guys buy rods/reels/line etc.  My friend took me to a store at the mall last time but I couldn't find those mackerel lures, the daisy chain type last time I was here, I only saw the spinners I think the type with multiple hooks works a lot better for mackerel.

I buy from sportenbeitostolen.no jaktia.no and skittfiske.no.

Mostly from skittfiske for most gear. But the other two has much of the same stuff as well as a lot of stuff skittfiske does not.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider